To Go Back & Hunt Or Not?-You Tell Me...

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the story: This site is one I have wanting to hunt for some time but it was grown up with weeds and broom sage. I recently noticed it was mowed clean and secured permission for myself, Trio members, and a few friends to detect there. I spent 4 hours scouting there last Saturday and another 4 hours today. A local historian told me that East Tennessee U.S. infantry and Cavalry were in that area and the 64 acre farm had been hunted. I don't think it has been hunted hard as there were WW2 maneuver brass cartridges and plenty of shotgun brass there the same depth of the .69 cal. 3 ringers and the fired .577 cal. Enfield. I think the bridle rosette is post war as it's brass over tin. The long brass piece may be a finial according to Breezie who is usually spot on with identifications. The site has access to two good springs and the relics were confined to two high points. The .69s indicate early CW and only one piece of campfire lead. I'm not sure the camp is actually on that farm.
Would you go back there and hunt it again? I will probably let the Trio members and a few Trio friends decide for themnselves. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN0412 (596x640).jpg
    DSCN0412 (596x640).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN0407.JPG
    DSCN0407.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 7

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the Tnet veteran hunters say "Go Back", that's what we will do. Thanks to all who replied and looked. Will keep you advised on the results. HH, Quindy.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the Tnet veteran hunters say "Go Back", that's what we will do. Thanks to all who replied and looked. Will keep you advised on the results. HH, Quindy.

Sorry for the delay in response, but, yeah, I agree on going back. Unless you have other spots that beckon with more promise. Most people are lucky at best to have any place to hunt that has promise of decent finds. I suppose it all comes down to what makes you happiest. I'm very fortunate to have a couple places where I have exclusive permission to hunt and they are all of very historic nature. But, ya know, sometimes, I am happiest when I'm at a local park/school/etc and turning up coin after coin after coin. Even if they are new. :)

A good place can get very boring sometimes. Seeing the same scenery over and over can get old. Break it up and try different places. You already know what to expect there, try somewhere where the challenge is the not knowing, the exploration, the fun. After all, I suspect that's part of the reason why someone as experienced as yourself would throw it to the winds to make a decision on where to go. Looking for a bit of excitement, even manufactured. ;)

Hope that helps.

HH!

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know for sure if they are going to keep the weeds mowed in the future? This may be a short window of opportunity. You have proven there are relics on the property and you haven't hunted it thoroughly. I think it's a no brainer :dontknow:

master_cat

Mar 10, 2012
tennessee
Detector(s) used
fisher f75 se
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
id hunt it im happy to just find a piece of camp lead or a fired bullet if i see more then one bullet a day thats a good one for me lol

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve, there will be hay cut there twice a year from now on. Assuming we can retain permission, there will be many opportunities to hunt the site. However, they turned another hunter down before me but I knew the right people and gave the owner a copy of NST with one of my articles in it. HH, Q.

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd hunt it. Especially if it's 64 acres. Only takes a small area to make it worthwhile! Good luck!

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say hit it hard and often - make the ground bleed relics - HH

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I always say im gonna retire a site...But as soon as i start thinking and saying what you are,i always go back..:laughing7:

Blaze

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id dig every signal that was produced my machine. You never know whats in the ground in areas like that.Thanks for sharing,Best of luck to ya!!

HH John

Gemini Alpha

Nov 19, 2012
Europe
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would hunt it until you go home with nothing after a hunt! No site is ever hunted out!

Totally agree with the comment in my quote. There is no such thing as hunted out. Just recently, i found an unbelievable silver coin at a place in my garden where i´ve been detecting at least 200 times. It was just that the signal wasnt very obvious because it was a very small one. You know, the more you get to work in the areas where people have hunted before, the better you get. I would hit a promising area till i know every single signal in the soil. :) Of course only when i dont have better sites at that time. Yesterday when i was walking home past the spots ive been searching few weeks ago, i was getting this homesick feeling when you havent been hunting there for some time, you know? Maybe save the site for the times when other places are in culture like i do. To bring back the memories...

Last edited:

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ive hunted places gridpatterns and spent hours upon hours and told myself it has to be hunted out... than fast forward months , went back and found more I did originally, I actually believe sometimes just nature and weather can change hunting conditions. I would go back! HH

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks again Treasure Hunters for the advice. I walked right through a Yankee camp one time and have a big box of relics to prove it. I found a small firing range about 200 yards away and calculated where the Yankees fired from. I returned to that field and bullets and buttons were in there like Easter eggs. Thew trio plans to hit the site mentioned in this post during the coming week. HH, Quindy.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the sites ppl claim are hunted out,Thats where you find all the good stuff,Everyone else has already picked out the trash for ya!!!!

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep digging as long as your pulling stuff out of the ground , then go back after the next rain and dig some more.

Shwicken

Jan 2, 2013
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, My Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What reasons would there be not to go back? You don't need reasons to go to a place that has been productive. You just go.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Treasure Hunters for the advice. I walked right through a Yankee camp one time and have a big box of relics to prove it. I found a small firing range about 200 yards away and calculated where the Yankees fired from. I returned to that field and bullets and buttons were in there like Easter eggs. Thew trio plans to hit the site mentioned in this post during the coming week. HH, Quindy.

Well I hope the Tennessee Trio will post a link here so we can see how our advice went :laughing7: I you do not find anything I am going to edit my old post and say I told you so, haha.
Just kidding and good luck !

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread