To Go Back & Hunt Or Not?-You Tell Me...

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the story: This site is one I have wanting to hunt for some time but it was grown up with weeds and broom sage. I recently noticed it was mowed clean and secured permission for myself, Trio members, and a few friends to detect there. I spent 4 hours scouting there last Saturday and another 4 hours today. A local historian told me that East Tennessee U.S. infantry and Cavalry were in that area and the 64 acre farm had been hunted. I don't think it has been hunted hard as there were WW2 maneuver brass cartridges and plenty of shotgun brass there the same depth of the .69 cal. 3 ringers and the fired .577 cal. Enfield. I think the bridle rosette is post war as it's brass over tin. The long brass piece may be a finial according to Breezie who is usually spot on with identifications. The site has access to two good springs and the relics were confined to two high points. The .69s indicate early CW and only one piece of campfire lead. I'm not sure the camp is actually on that farm.
Would you go back there and hunt it again? I will probably let the Trio members and a few Trio friends decide for themnselves. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN0412 (596x640).jpg
    DSCN0412 (596x640).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN0407.JPG
    DSCN0407.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 7

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Until I get into my new spots I would hunt it until something better came along.. You never know what was missed and what that F-75 will turn up :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may have a point there Richard. There are other hunted out sites where we can go and dig more bullets plus an occasional button but the plates are long gone. There is still an outside possibility of a really good relic in the ground at the new site. HH, Q.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would hunt it until you go home with nothing after a hunt! No site is ever hunted out!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt it Hunt it Hunt it........................jmho.................HH

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit it and hit it hard!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep hunting it.I found one of those old rosette like that the brass was starting to flake off.really like that pocket knife.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
I say hunt it hard, and take ME! If it is where I think it is, I know where an old house site is nearby. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Tennessee digger

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With just those relics there, I would personally make a return trip. You know about as well as the next guy does. If I was in between sites and had a place to go, I would definitely go back. Who knows what's lurking in there and with a few more buddies tagging along, who knows what more you can turn up. Good luck and HH!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd definitely hit it hard, good luck nice finds!!!

Scotdixon

Feb 18, 2013
Knightsville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Bounty Hunter 505,101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I have been hunting a site for years, I hunt Iron sometimes to from burning it out - that coil only is 8". Keep on gettin it

nearihunter

Aug 5, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
ace 150, ace350, bounty hunter, ace 250, Minelab safari, (primary)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not ID ing anything but the wierd looking rhing looks like a plug to a powder horn. *brain frozen lol cant think of thre name for it! Errr*

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you know how long the soldiers were camping there for??

The East Tennessee Mounted Infantry was in the area for 2 years HSD. They pulled out in 1864. As to this site, I can't figure the old .69s. Dman and I have hunted a site extensively where we know the East Tennessee Union Soldiers had a patrol route and they used the .54 cal. Austrian rifles. This may be a different regiment. We don't know if this was even a camp area. Just one piece of campfire lead would be unusual for a camp of even short duration. Thanks for looking, Q.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy, start running. Had sort of the same thing. Old field loaded with 50 cal casings from WW2 across from old site that was hit hard. The fields were loaded with old and new. Have fun...

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Quindy..... I sent you an email about that piece. I think it is a tompion without the cork on the lower end. Not sure as always, but check it out. Tennessee digger

nearihunter

Aug 5, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
ace 150, ace350, bounty hunter, ace 250, Minelab safari, (primary)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks tennesee digger. Tompions the word i was looking for. HH

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Looks like the right guys to finally "hit it hard " have come along :)

Good luck out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread