Chinese Coins IDd - Colonial Era - BOOYAH!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chinese Coins ID'd - Colonial Era - BOOYAH!

HUGE THANKS to hikeinmts who identified my Chinese coins:

chinese-coins-variations-md.jpg

From his email:

Reading your pics, left to right.

1st coin - 1821-1850. Dao Guang Tong Bao. Minted by Board of Public Works. (Chinese Cash, by Hartill - 22.590 - 22.598) (These numbers are numbers set up by Hartill when he did his work on Chinese Cash Coins.) All of this type of coin are common. All under $5.00.

2nd coin - 1731 - 1795. Qian Long Tong Bao. Minted by Board of Public Works. Hartill - TYPE D - (You can tell this, as the right character of the coin has a slanting base.) Probably 22.208, which gives you a date of 1761-1767. All of this type of coin are common. All under $2.00.

3rd coin - 1731 - 1795. Qian Long Tong Bao. Minted by Board of Revenue. Hartill - H-1, because the inside dots of the "tong" character are verticle lines, not dots. (Also, for your ref......in the picture, the coin is upside down.) And, on the H.1 series, probably 22.234. I wish I could take a look at the coin, in my hand. This one is a little different, for several reasons....it just looks different from the normal that I have seen.) All of this type are common, too. $2.00 and under.

None of the coins that you show have a large outer rim. If any that you found have a larger than normal outer rim, then they would be a more special coin.
How many coins did you find in the cache of Chinese coins? You might try to line them up, making sure that they are all rightside up, and then look for ones that just "look different." Maybe you won't be able to explain the differences, but they just don't look the same as the rest of the coins. On the back of the coin is the mintmark. Set them up according to mintmark. The line that is like writing, not printing....that line is always on the left. And it will be the same for all the coins. Then the character on the right determines the mint. Once you have them according to mint, then just turn them over. Not up and over. Just, over. Then you are looking at the top, bottom, right, and left......that is NORMALLY how the characters are arranged, although a few of the Chinese coins do have the characters top, right, bottom, left. That would make a difference in price, too.​

So, as per his suggestion, here's the coins all lined up. And I think I actually found a 4th variation in doing so. Very happy to have found these!

chinese-coins-group1.jpg

chinese-coins-group2.jpg

Upvote 2

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find never found 1 of them yet. HH

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real sweet finds buddy.

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still have not found the first one...nice hunt

Top Member Reactions