Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a tale not unlike many other tales of adventure and treasure at least in my imagination. I will tell the tale as I see it in my minds eye. Then I will tell you honest plain facts.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:blackbeard: The Treasure Hunt :skullflag:
Having learned of the lost treasure horde in the fall of 2012 I was anxious to get on the trail. Life’s unexpected events and other commitments had prevented an earlier departure. So it wasn’t until early February of 2013 that I was able to assemble my crew and start our quest.

Along for the journey were The Major, The Marshall, the Recruit, and our pirate prisoner. We assembled at the Major’s Den and carefully planned our journey. At the designated hour the our prisoner was brought from the dungeon in shackles and we set off into the unknown. We arrived at our rendezvous point in three different vessels. The Major and the Recruit were the first to arrive and had secured the prisoner from the keel. They were just getting the lay of the land and some initial bearings when The Marshall and I arrived separately but at nearly the same time.

I walked up to the group to hear the prisoner telling how the pirate crew had stashed the treasure in the tree line along an ancient path up on the knoll overlooking the surrounding land. We assembled our gear and started the hike to yonder knoll. As will happen over time the environment changes and one part of the woods will begin to look like any other part of the woods. The prisoner was unable to pinpoint the location of the treasure. We searched for tell tail signs of the treasure or of past visitation. After a time I begin to question the prisoners motives. Had he convinced us to bring him here simply as a means to escape the dungeon if only for a brief while? I was told he was promised leniency in sentencing and restitution if he were able to recover the treasure. Knowing that it was truly to his benefit to find the treasure I begin to search again in earnest.

I had been dowsing for the treasure with an enchanted stick device known as ACE 350 obtained from a man by the name of Garrett. After finding many pieces of evidence of ancient habitation we were about to give up the search. We had become convinced the prisoner was mistaken about the location or someone else had recovered the treasure perhaps one of his brethren? I was also beginning to have serious doubts about my ability in handling the ACE. It seemed I was only able to locate junk left behind by those ancient visitors to this land. It was at this point Marshall stumbled upon one of the pirate crews tools. Now we knew we were on the right track. I begin to focus my efforts in the area near where Marshall had made his discovery.

My lack of thus finding anything of value had begun to shake my confidence. But an exercise in logic helped me recover. I reasoned that I couldn’t find anything if it weren’t really there. The treasure is in one place I just have to be over it to detect it. After getting many readings of iron in the ground the ACE finally gave me a brief hint of GOLD. I knelt to the ground and raked back a couple of inches of wet leaves and bracken from the forest floor. I took a smaller stick we call the Pro Pointer from my pack and started dragging it around on the ground. My companions had stopped and were starring at me in wonder, thinking back on it now I’m sure they thought I had completely lost my mind.

I was digging in the mud with my bare hands. Then they saw the gold rings, necklaces, bracelets, and other jewelry they quickly joined in the digging, routing me out. I did not mind after all we had brought the Recruit just in case there was any real labor to be done. I was able to step back and enjoy the moment and take in my surroundings… it truly was a beautiful day almost like spring. We packed up our bounty and gear for the return trip. Upon arrival at the regional magistrate’s office we were able to compare the treasure with the official ledger of looted items. We had been successful in recovering a vast majority of the treasure but there is some still up on that knoll awaiting a new adventure.

Ring-130225.jpg Rings-130207.jpg Jewelry-130207.jpg Jewelry-130207-b.jpg

The Facts :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
In September of 2012 a burglary ring had been broken when 3 individuals were caught red handed by a homeowner. They fled on foot from the rural residence with loot in hand. Approximately 45 minutes later I caught the first as he emerged from a corn field on the next road over from the scene. The second was caught by a reserve officer as she emerged from a creek she had been following trying to throw off any tracking.

The third was caught by a neighboring sheriffs department. None of the individuals had any of the stolen items on their person when taken into custody. So obviously somewhere in the woods they had stashed the goods. It wasn’t until after the trial and being found guilty of multiple burglaries in a three county area that there was any serious discussion about recovering stolen items. The defense attorneys had worked out a deal to have any recovery apply as credit against their client’s restitution and leniency in sentencing.

The one who had carried the bulk of the jewelry agreed to show us the area where he dumped the goods. Shortly after being discovered by a homeowner and fleeing into the woods he dropped it on a hill top and kicked some leaves over it. The plan was to return for it later and not have anything on his person should he be questioned. Unfortunately for the three the homeowner was able to identify them and their car had been impounded. The homeowner anxious for the return of family jewelry was more than pleased when the town Marshall called for permission to search the land.

The Major and the recruit had signed the prisoner out of jail for the hunt. Being the guy on the department with the new metal detector and the one who caught him I was assigned to the hunt as well. The location was on an old farm road through a wooded area next to an old fence. I was having a lot of difficulty in discriminating all the hundreds of pieces of wire from previous fencing from anything of real value. We were about to give up when I got a GOOD signal between to iron signals.

I had to dig this as being the only real signal in over two and a half hours of searching. It turned out to be just what we were looking for the jewelry from the robbery. Most of it anyway. There appears to be four rings still missing. Next nice day and I will be back on that hilltop. The happiness of the homeowner upon recovery was more than sufficient reward for my efforts.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have been wanting to post this for two weeks but had to wait until public release. I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I did posting it.

webatch

Upvote 9

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty awesome story, way to find the loot! Are you a cop then>?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cheesy.gif
Treasure
cheesy.gif
Congratulations
cool.gif

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, as well as the public service, it's always nice to hear something good coming from something bad!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not stand a thief. Way to go retrieving the stolen jewelry. Maybe the other four rings will show up.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome job! HH Be safe!

OP
OP
webatch

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talon I am a reserve officer (part time) my full time position is technician for the department. I keep the radios, computers, camera / security systems going. Basically anything that has wires or electrons flowing through it they expect me to know how to fix and keep running. They can sure throw you a curve ball some days. I spend a lot of time on the phone & computer figuring out how some things work or are repaired... but I have been able to save the department a lot of money. So much so the sheriff has been loaning me out to other departments within the county. He has me working on radios and vehicles for the city police dept., fire dept, and now the highway dept. I told the sheriff he was getting to be like a pimp... he replied so that makes you the ____?

John Boy I know what you mean! I'm surprised out here in our neck of the woods that the thieves don't have more tragic accidents. You get caught robbing the wrong place out here in the country and your just apt to disappear.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talon I am a reserve officer (part time) my full time position is technician for the department. I keep the radios, computers, camera / security systems going. Basically anything that has wires or electrons flowing through it they expect me to know how to fix and keep running. They can sure throw you a curve ball some days. I spend a lot of time on the phone & computer figuring out how some things work or are repaired... but I have been able to save the department a lot of money. So much so the sheriff has been loaning me out to other departments within the county. He has me working on radios and vehicles for the city police dept., fire dept, and now the highway dept. I told the sheriff he was getting to be like a pimp... he replied so that makes you the ____?

John Boy I know what you mean! I'm surprised out here in our neck of the woods that the thieves don't have more tragic accidents. You get caught robbing the wrong place out here in the country and your just apt to disappear.

:thumbsup:

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! I enjoyed reading it

OP
OP
webatch

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claire

In the first part I tried not to let the facts get in the way of a good story. But I really didn't want to mislead anyone...?

Hey I had a good time all the way around. Getting out in the woods with my detector finding and returning the stolen property was great. Then telling the story....

It would have been more fun if I weren't the only one detecting. The others all just walking around in circles kicking up leaves "looking for signs" and trying to help the guy remember where he hid the goods when he fled. But it had been in the early fall now it was late winter... almost six months had past and it didn't look familiar to him.

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
great story! I know that was an awesome feeling returning the items. Congrats!!!

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! I kept trying to keep it "in character" in my mind while reading it, but I was anxious to know what the facts were! That's awesome that y'all found a large portion of the stolen property and the perpetrators were brought to justice...so often the thieves and the thieved never surface again. Good job!! :hello2:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story!!

BillW212

Feb 6, 2013
Coatesville, PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post in Honorable Mention thread! You will get an Honorable Mention for this.

OP
OP
webatch

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the compliments folks. I just reread it ~ need to work on my writing skills a bit... but hey I was having some fun with it. My imagination was ahead of my typing by a long shot.

To give an update I was out in that part of the county and had a little time so I stopped in for a "quickie". I was up there for about 15 minutes and was able to find another ring. That means there are only three unaccounted for now. But the rain has set in now and looks to continue for a few days. Guess I'm one of those "fair weather" detectorists (yeah yeah some of you say wimp!). I just can not get motivated to go play in the COLD rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread