granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not often I find bottles, and this little guy was in the same hole as the Chinese coin spill I found. Pretty common but a very nice cobalt blue. Dates to late 1800s... the company had factories in MD and NJ and were famous for this little blue bottle.

2-24-13-musa-emerson-bottle.jpg

Upvote 5

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great bottle. Nice find!

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice, intact blue beauty. This shows yet again why it's important to dig gingerly--you never know if another fragile relic is lurking alongside a target. Well done!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy findind those old colored bottles.Great save.

dtiger2k

Feb 3, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 400 (Mine)
Whites Prism II (Wife's)
Planning on upgrading both soon, hopefully.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always liked the old blue bottles. I found a few of them in different sizes when I lived in Ohio and gave them to a friend who collects bottles. That one is in really good condition. HH

Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find ! But I'm sorry, it doesn't date to the late 1800s,more like 30s or 40s. Keep your shovel dirty

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PikesPeakCharlie said:
Congrats on your find ! But I'm sorry, it doesn't date to the late 1800s,more like 30s or 40s. Keep your shovel dirty

Nice find Grant. 2 easy ways to semi date bottles is by it having threads or not. If it has threads it's not that old. If it is a stopper bottle check the mold seam. If it runs all the way through the lip then it is also not very old. Still a nice bottle though. I collect them and I would keep it for the cool color. HH.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Grant,

These are the later models, as PikesPeakCharlie noted.

It's predecessor looked like this, and came in several sizes:

bromo.jpg
"...The small cobalt blue bottle pictured to the left contained one of the most popular medicines sold in the 20th century - Bromo-Seltzer - which continues to be popular today as a headache and stomach medicine. This is a typical early 20th century Bromo bottle and is embossed horizontally with BROMO-SELTZER / EMERSON / DRUG CO. / BALTIMORE, MD. The product came in many different sizes of similar shaped bottles which were mouth-blown in the earlier years (1890s to about 1911), machine-made in identically shaped cork stoppered bottles beginning about 1911, and most likely completely machine-made by about 1915. Between 1911 and 1915 it appears that the bottles were both mouth-blown and machine-made. The cork as a closure began to disappear by 1920 with total disappearance by 1928 when the bottles were sealed by a metal seal or cap; the finish for the metal seal looked about the same as the cork bead finish. The bottles switched to external screw thread finishes in 1954 and went to plastic bottles in 1986 (Easton 1965; Fike 1987). Click mid-20th century Bromo to see a later (1950s) example with a lug type external screw thread finish that is embossed with the brand name on the heel...." Medicinal Bottles

Yours looks like it might be a lug top. I cannot quite tell from the photos.

lugthreads.jpg
Finish Types page 2

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to the cobalt blue bottles I scored a few cellary and something else written on it bottles a few years back . Nice Score !

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the clarifications. This is what happens when I do my research hastily before a long day of meetings! Really appreciate it!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL GOOD JOB...

alexthegreat

Mar 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found two of these bottles one is 5" and the other looks like about 3" maybe, but I cannot take any photos
the reason for me finding these is that I have like a privy or a dump in my front yard AND I LIVE IN A TRAILER!?!? and its not that old

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread