HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out in Louisa,Va today digging near the railroad tracks that were used during the Civil War, I have hunted near these tracks for some time now and always find some pretty decent relics. The way I went about this spot was using Maps from The Official Civil War Atlas book which if you are into Civil War hunting then this is a must have book otherwise your pretty much just going on hear say or maybe hunting a camp or spot that is been hit by everyone and their grandma. I made a little video on how to go about finding some good spots near the railroad tracks using the Atlas book, just a little tip that I have learnt by.

Today's finds are nothing major, I got into what was a out building that would have been used next to the rail road tracks that was dotted out in the Atlas, all these artifacts were about 2-3 feet deep in the ground and I did not hear any good signals (just iron) for about an hour and half of digging it all out A couple bullets, two eagle buttons, a spur and some railroad tool looking artifacts and a spike I also dug half of an ink well which I didn't bring back with me, I think if i would have dug the pit out slower I would have been able to recover the ink well in tact but since time was limited I had to dig it out pretty quick!

Good luck everyone, I have a few more tips I posted in General Discussion about how to find Civil War camps and tips on finding Colonial horse racing tracks. Everyone needs to do there research and once you do you WILL be rewarded. Anyway hope this helps or maybe it does not help for you, but anyway..... if anyone is having any problems or needs help researching 18th or 19th century location of camps,railroad tracks,roads,etc.. please feel free to contact me, it is what I do best and I have stacks and stacks of Maps,Atlas books,etc.

Video link on tips on using the Atlas book and pictures below

[video]https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=455513347850667[/video]

Attachments

• 101_0393.JPG
    101_0393.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 101_0394.JPG
    101_0394.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Upvote 5

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work buddy.I really like that spur.cool finds.

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work buddy.I really like that spur.cool finds.

Those spurs seem to trail me Johnnyboy... I like the spurs that are engraved which are alittle more rare, but i sware it seems everywhere I go there is a spur.. Some people get blessed with a plate or buckle everywhere they go for me it seems like spurs are just everywhere for me.

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go so envious of your spur !!!

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's good working on figuring our this new coil hut is the cw show at the eagles club on march 8th or is it the 9 th

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds I love the spur, where can you find this book hutsitedigger and does it cover West Virginia a lot?

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I love the spur, where can you find this book hutsitedigger and does it cover West Virginia a lot?

Pretty sure you can buy this one online normally on E-bay i have seen a couple listed on there! this is the same book the National Park Service and there archaeology teams use, so it use widely published. The maps cover plenty of West Virginia it also covers maps near Hawks Nest Dam where the Ohio Regiments were camped out.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The official military atlas of the civil war. Should be the first book in your arsenal. Nice spur hut. Has all maps of every state. Nice digs. What was your technique though in locating the building. It had to be off the ballast bed. Probe?

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep those are them.. Just make sure if buying any "official military atlas maps" of the civil war that they are from Maj. George B Davis who is the author of the book. There are some other maps and books out there that represent themselfs as "official maps" when they are really not and those maps can be way off when your trying to pin point an exact location of a camp or outbuilding,etc. Maj. George Davis the author really did the best job anyone could on updating and publishing these maps from the Civil War.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep those are them.. Just make sure if buying any "official military atlas maps" of the civil war that they are from Maj. George B Davis who is the author of the book. There are some other maps and books out there that represent themselfs as "official maps" when they are really not and those maps can be way off when your trying to pin point an exact location of a camp or outbuilding,etc. Maj. George Davis the author really did the best job anyone could on updating and publishing these maps from the Civil War.

Thank you very much!!!

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The official military atlas of the civil war. Should be the first book in your arsenal. Nice spur hut. Has all maps of every state. Nice digs. What was your technique though in locating the building. It had to be off the ballast bed. Probe?

Do you happen to have this book TN? I will show you an example if you go to PLATE L and look at map #3 you will see Second Divison, Fourth Army Corps. Chattanooga,Tenn. If you look @ that map you will see the railroad running near the Tennessee River if you look you wil see on the railroad tracks "Rolling Mill" now if you look right next to Rolling Mill you will see "Rossville Road" and in between Rolling Mill and Rossville road you will see 3 dots and a very small square marking. That is outlining some sort of out building that would have been more of less used for many reasons! That is the kind of stuff I pay attention too on these maps..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you happen to have this book TN? I will show you an example if you go to PLATE L and look at map #3 you will see Second Divison, Fourth Army Corps. Chattanooga,Tenn. If you look @ that map you will see the railroad running near the Tennessee River if you look you wil see on the railroad tracks "Rolling Mill" now if you look right next to Rolling Mill you will see "Rossville Road" and in between Rolling Mill and Rossville road you will see 3 dots and a very small square marking. That is outlining some sort of out building that would have been more of less used for many reasons! That is the kind of stuff I pay attention too on these maps..

Yes I have the book right here. My plates are numbered? Plate # then map # ? I have the Davis addition. The giant book,lol

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep those plates can be hard to get to remember.. Plate L is the page right after Plate XLIX then it goes to Plate L then after Plate L would be Plate L1,etc So i think L would be page 50 in Roman numerals.

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in hanover..nice man!!!!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that should be in everyone's library. I love my book and there is a lot of info in it as well. Very large heavy book. It did take me a while to understand how to use it but once you do it is very easy to navigate thru. I got mine for $3 at an estate sale two years ago along with about 50 hardback civil war books and several hundred civil war magazines. I spent a total of $18 for everything. I pays to keep your eyes open for sales.

mark1427

Apr 16, 2013
Southampton Co. Va.
Detector(s) used
ACE 350, Garret pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow it pays to read past posts!!!!!

Are these books the same?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions