My first possible Gold Coin Detected ? It is rough shape.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected on the Upper Chesapeake bay today for an hour at sunset. It was chilly, but felt nice to be out. I got a newer penny and a gold colored coin almost the size of a quarter. You can barely see The United States Of America on it and thats about it. The corrosion on it makes me think its not a gold coin, but the bay water and sand is tough on coins. I am just not sure what it is. IMG_4749.JPG

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, gold wont corrode, it must be a copper, bronze or copper nickel coin. Could be a two cent piece.

OP
OP
DFX DAVE in M.D.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I could be a two cent piece. The bright color had me thrown off because all copper on the bay beaches always comes out of the ground black, or even crumbling mush. Those mexican bronze coins always come out have bright like this though.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's the diameter and is the edge reeded? Gold can look like from ocean settings due to 10% copper content

HH
-GC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
i agree with the respondants so far: Doesn't look like gold. Seems to simply be a copper coin, that got "whizzed up" with some abrasion, like having been in the surf rolling in the sand in some recent movement.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a 2-center to me

OP
OP
DFX DAVE in M.D.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It measures 23 mm on a cheap sewing tape measure, not sure if its accurate or not. I threw it on a poatage scale that does not do grams, lol and it weighed 0.01 then it flashed to 0.02 of af aounce then back to 0.01. I just hoped it was gold, I will take it to a gold buying store in the next week and find out for sure. I am trying to get back into detecting, I use to go 5 days a week almost year round, then I changed jobs 3 years ago and its 10 to 12 hour nights 45 minutes away, so I just dont detect at all pretty much. We adopted an American Foxhound that needs tons of exercise, so I have did lots of hiking with him instead of detecting. I took him on my last 2 detecting trips and attached his long chain on a tree nearby and had to hear him squawk the whhole time, lol, he better get used to it, I take him on a long walk before I detect and that tones his energy down some.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting