Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldest detector I've ever seen

My son was cleaning out a shed for a client of his, and since he is always looking for metal detectors for me, he saw this and knew that I would get excited about it. It's the oldest one I have ever seen. It's a Detectron, model 27, dated 1961.

SAM_0416.JPG SAM_0421.JPG SAM_0431.JPG

It has regular tube circuitry with a wooden coil.

SAM_0430.JPG SAM_0423.JPG SAM_0427.JPG

The only thing missing is a cover for the coil. I don't know if it was wood or what.
I don't know how anybody was able to use this as it is so short you would have to be bent over all the time!
And...it weighs a ton! I wonder how well it worked with a metal shaft and fittings on top of the coil.

Upvote 4

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was built for a midget!! that really had to be tough using that bad boy.

OP
OP
baywalker

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so does it work?? lol
Debby I am scared to put a battery in it and it takes an odd sized batt at that. how was your vac.good to see you back

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool detector.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing :)

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat looking detector. as far as batteries you could use new style and alligator clips to equal the voltage of the old one. I have a radio/direction finder that takes a 9volt, the original 9volt is about 8 inches long and 1.5 inches square, made by everready of all places. I used a new 9 volt and it fired right up.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What an awesome find! Those old machines were really works of art back then, as trying to fit all
the tubes and gear into a portable size was not simple.

Hope you plan to restore it! :occasion14:

Dizz

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the same detector moses had when he tried to recover the arch of the covenant

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id put it on ebay...with out trying to power it up....you might blow out some tubes or something on that thing.....Id also try to find out what else was in that shed.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions