Last hunt of the year didnt produce a large cent, but great memories!!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Last hunt of the year didn't produce a large cent, but great memories!!

My son Spencer and I headed back to the Camp-Meeting ground where recently I dug my first seated coin, an 1854 dime. I also dug a 1901 V nickle on the same trip and Mirage nabbed another seated dime, so I was thinking this would be a decent shot at finding a large (one of my last two goals I didn't hit in my first year detecting, a large cent and a Barber or Seated quarter).
The day started unusually warm again for the last day of December but the weatherman called for sleet and rain all day, and for ONCE in his lifetime he got it right. We took our dog Growly along too so he could wander the woods while we hunted. It was muddy. It was wet and it was kinda cold (heck, who am I kidding???...we should be below freezing and under a foot of snow right now!)
We took a break around 1pm, built a fire to dry out our gloves and warm our toes. We brought along some soup and bread and had a nice warm meal over the fire.
After eating we wandered like Nate all over creation, trying to find that elusive LC....but it was not to be (kinda sounds like Monty Python don't I ;D)
Twice I dug a small cent and was thinking MAYBE a Flying Eagle or IH...but they ended up being a 1909 (nope...no vdb or S) and a 1913, both badly corroded.
We ended up finding a few other cool things. We each dug a small (pistol?) dropped and one fired musketballs and a few other bullets. I dug the circular silver thing and have NO CLUE what it is. Spencer dug a small buckle and strap end. I also pulled a horseshoe from deep under an old oak's roots.
The cool find was the old toy car. Missing two wheels but real cool.

HH all and have a GREAT 2007!!!

Unpacking to head out early in the morning.
12-31hunt 005.jpg
Eating soup by the fire.
12-31hunt 004.jpg
Finds dumped out on the Element's tailgate.
12-31hunt 006.jpg
Finds cleaned up
12-31hunt 001.jpg
closeup
12-31hunt 002.jpg

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Last hunt of the year didn't produce a large cent, but great memories!!

Those are some fantastic finds....The car is great and so is the pic of the campfire! Beautiful hunt for you guys!

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice finds, thats a very nice car you found.
is there a name on it?

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana

Very cool car, even has the sticker still attached. I like it!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The heck with the coins that is 1 cool car.... Congrats and WTG

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

whitesid said:
nice finds, thats a very nice car you found.
is there a name on it?
Looked everywhere inside...no markings at ALL except a #2 underneath.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

clump63 said:
Very cool car, even has the sticker still attached. I like it!
The number 4 is painted on BTW

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

that car is awesome!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed! That little car is the best! Welll....other than the GREAT pictures! ;)

Congrats on those finds and Happy New Year!

Nana :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Hey Dan. Some decent finds. That is a tough site but the potential is big. Would have joined you but the rain and fact that we have done a lot of detecting kept me at home. We both had good years and you should be satisfied. Look forward to many more good hunts in 2007.

Bob

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Mirage said:
Hey Dan. Some decent finds. That is a tough site but the potential is big. Would have joined you but the rain and fact that we have done a lot of detecting kept me at home. We both had good years and you should be satisfied. Look forward to many more good hunts in 2007.

Bob
Don't get me wrong Bob...I am WAY satisfied with my first year swinging a coil!
I have close to (if not slightly over...I need a final count) 150 silver coins, including SIX silver halfs, a Morgan dollar, a 1792 Irish Half Penny Colonial token, seven gold rings and over 30 silver rings including the old one with 11 diamonds, that bronze Minoan pendant, a few IH's,LOTS of wheats (go figure) TONS of bullets including quite a few musketballs, several Civil war era military items, probably a dozen old pocketknives, several broken pocketwatches...man I could go ON.
I really am satisfied, but since we both took BIG advantage of this freakish weather to find some last minute firsts, I figured that the ol' mind-over-matter thing would make a Coronet cent materialize in front of me!!

I'm looking forward to lots of great hunts with you, Nate, Don, Scott and Zoso (Dave) in 2007. Pop a cork for me buddy...you KNOW I'll be toasting you guys in .......let's see....about an hour and a half. We've got the Cordon Negro chilled and waiting!! :D :D :D
Oh yeah...forgot to mention...My Whites Bullseye pinpointer CRAPPED out yesterday (shoving the probe into the ground so many times wore the plastic away, exposing the wires...one broke...caput) and so I was down to the Sherlock...and IT started acting crazy...Now I need to make up my mind about which machine to buy as well as pinpointer options for same.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Too Bad Dan that you didn't find a Large coin last year, if you want I could send you a picture of one, just so you'll know what they look like when you find one this year:) Really I bet you find a couple or more of them this year. Really like the car, for me that would make my day.

I am not sure why your looking for a new detector, when the ACE 250 has been an excellent detector for you. If you looking for a probe, get the SunRay probe for your detector. It mounts right on your detector shaft and runs off of your detectors batteries.

Hope to see you and your son posting many more GREAT finds this year. One thing more when you get a 50 cent reading on your detector, don't be surprised if you pull out a nice large cent. That's what they read on the ACE. Good Luck and keep finding and posting your great finds.

HH, Ringfinder

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star

Dan,
I agree with Bob..That site could have the potential for many great finds.

The finds from this year have been stellar. They can only get better!

Family and friends hunting together are far greater then anything that can be pulled from the ground!

Just wait till next year!

HH
ZoSo71

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome post and nice pics and finds Dan! HH, Mike

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looked like a great day! nice car as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread