Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a couple of hours back at the colonial house and it continued to yield some great relics and a semi-key date coin! This was a deep signal that was under a large root and I was getting frustrated trying to find it as it indicated shallowed than it was due to its size. I figured it was junk and didn't dig carefully in my frustration, somehow I managed not to hit or destroy it with my shovel--probably thanks to the big root. I finally saw it on edge and worked it out slowly by hand. I got very excited when it appeared to be an old colonial shoe buckle! My first.

At home I washed it in soap and water and it began to show signs of what appeared to be gilt. After a few treatments with Al jelly, it revealed a beautifully ornate silver plated buckle! Notice the four crimps on the bar in the center which is stationary.

Any more info on this buckle would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Colonial Shoe Buckle150.jpg
    Colonial Shoe Buckle150.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Colonial Shoe Buckle152.jpg
    Colonial Shoe Buckle152.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 11

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Erik! Never seen one quite like that. Not sure about its age either, but I could guess late colonial.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure the age but she is nice.:icon_thumright:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice buckle Erik, but it's not a shoe buckle. I think it's a woman's sash buckle from the Victorian era.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Eric.That buckle is a awesome find.looks great.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve, Just curious why you don't think it's a shoe buckle. I thought about sash buckle too, but I'm not terribly familiar with either. To me it doesn't have that typical Victorian look to it. I was thinkinging perhaps early 1800s??

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous buckle. Your perseverance (and luck) paid off. I hope it gets a proper ID.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have any similar examples of sash buckles? I thought the bar might date it to a specific period. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it dates to Victorian era as I have been digging a great mix of Victorian and Colonial relics from this house.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great buckle!

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever type it is and from whatever era, it sure is sweet!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you got to the root of the matter. Beautiful save. And congratulations on not shoveling it... Art

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beauty!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve, Just curious why you don't think it's a shoe buckle. I thought about sash buckle too, but I'm not terribly familiar with either. To me it doesn't have that typical Victorian look to it. I was thinkinging perhaps early 1800s??

Hey Erik - yes the bar was part of the reason I said it is not a colonial shoe buckle. That and the pin terminals on the buckle frame. It also appears to be stamped and plated. 18th century shoe buckles were cast brass, not stamped sheet brass.

Attachments

• Shoe buckles.jpg
    Shoe buckles.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Steve for the info! This buckle is in fact stamped it would seem. The knee buckle I found about 10 yards away is cast--so you can see there's an interesting mix of relics. That looks like a great reference book you have there...if you don't mind could you provide a bibliography? Best, Erik

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve for the info! This buckle is in fact stamped it would seem. The knee buckle I found about 10 yards away is cast--so you can see there's an interesting mix of relics. That looks like a great reference book you have there...if you don't mind could you provide a bibliography? Best, Erik

Erik, that picture is from a book called "The Archaeological Investigation of Fort Ligonier". Fort Ligonier was a French & Indian War fort built by the British in 1758. When I was a small boy I lived right next to the fort site when they where excavating it in the early 1960s. The head Archie, Jake Grimm, let my brother and I actually sift dirt through the screens. I was finding colonial artifacts before I was in 1st grade - LOL. There are better reference books for colonial artifacts out there, but this is the only one that I've seen that shows the evolution of the pin terminals during the 18th century. Over the years, I have found this to be true based on my finds.
Archaeological Investigation of Fort Ligonier, 1960-1965: Jacob L. Grimm: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shoe buckle would have had a rotating pin for the prongs, to go with the outher components (chape) of the buckle, I would agree it is a Sash Buckle/Slide...but a nice one to :thumbsup:

SS

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually an interesting example.
I have found a few different decorative square frame buckles like yours except there's a solid flat brass bar going through the middle.
Yours has a (ferrous?) wire through the middles and two fasteners on the sides. Same decorative square frame but different fasteners.
Mine would date to the late 19th/early 20th century but yours is probably older. I don't think colonial but pretty close.
I could dig mine out and take a picture if you wish.
Great find!:thumbsup:
Cheers,
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread