Video-Silver and Billiards at the Drake Saloon...

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the recent rain, cold, wind, snow, and just about everything else on the list for Oklahoma weather, the stars aligned and I was able to get out and hunt. I gained permission at two homes that haven't been accessible in a long time. I grabbed the CTX, put on the Pivotheads(review coming) and took off.

I grided the front yard in Combined/ferrous coin. Most of the front yard was empty of targets, except for one little spot in the front where 6 wheat's came out of one spot. All about the 6 to 9 inch range. Mostly teens and 20's. The oldest being a heavily corroded 1913.

1362600747.jpg

this pic was taken with the Pivothead glasses and I zoomed in with my photo viewer cropped.. the Pivothead watermark is from the original photo

8508358_orig.jpg

I grided the whole front yard of both homes and only came up with a piece of a harmonica reed. Knowing the age of the two homes and the easy access to other hunters I figured it had been hunted hard in the past.. Wasn't a lot of junk signals either, possibly from fill.

Nevertheless, I moved to the backyard and immediately I began finding good targets. I began digging much older targets like breaker fuses and medicinal lids and pieces. Mostly were badly burned. Figuring I had found a burn pit, I worked it rather hard with good success.
1362603866.jpg

9951496_orig.jpg

9877809_orig.jpg

8148023_orig.jpg

What is interesting about this piece, is I found out by visiting with my mother, that she lived in house next door to the west when she was younger. To make a long story short, my great uncle and aunt stayed there also and their father's initials are R.M.R. The hallmark on the back dates to the time when they stayed there. Still trying to confirm the possible owner.. But interesting!

3712328_orig.jpg

Still not wanting to leave the small burned area, I found more.
1362603287.jpg

Seeing the cowboy in the center of this play money reminded me when I was a kid, watching the old B westerns with my grandmother.
1362604107.jpg

5917032_orig.jpg

Finding no more in the "hot" spot. I moved further into the backyard. Close to a set of small wooden buildings that looked like small red barns that you see in country side pictures in magazines. I dug several fishing weights and other pieces from that era. Finally a cool relic...
5848023_orig.jpg

O'CONNOR'S PERPETUAL CALENDAR, PATENT 1905 COPYRIGHT 1900 BY J L O'CONNER

My next and final find of the day pretty much has me excited. Although it is in poor shape I was able to make out some of what it says..
9817036_orig.jpg

this side reads: The BRUNSWIC...... ....KE..... COLLE

9812728.png

I almost gave up on finding what this token was for. Till, I found letterhead referencing the "THE BRUNSWICK-BALKE-COLLENDER CO. They made billiard tables and balls. It matches the visible letters perfectly!

That explains the Drake's Saloon on the opposite side of the token.
7097936_orig.jpg

GOOD FOR 5¢ IN TRADE AT DRAKE'S SALOON

Although I will probably never find where the Drake's saloon was, it is still a cool piece of history. It just goes to show that you never know what you are going to find! The video is now Tuber and posted below..
Thanks for reading
Evan

Gonehunting for History
1047662_orig.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread