Colonial silver trifecta including a HUGE cut piece at awesome new site (long story)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good buddy Dan and I got out yesterday with a plan in mind. But it didn’t quite work out that way as sometimes happens. Between the first site being inaccessible due to an impassible road, and another being overrun with hunters we were struggling to find a place to swing. On the way to another possible location we happened to drive by a place that we had been interested in previously, but had never been able to contact the owners. We decided to make a quick stop there, and got lucky as they were home for a change. After Dan chatted with them for about 20 min we had secured permission to hunt their expansive property. Starting out in the general area where we believed a 1600s house used to exist we came up with a big goose egg. Then we checked out another one of their fields just down the street, and again nothing. So the day was looking like a total bust at that point. Our last chance was to walk a large adjacent field, and we split up to cover more territory. We were both heading for the 2 nice looking knolls in the very back of the field when I finally got a signal, and it was a large, early button. By that time Dan was back in my vicinity telling me about an early house site he thought he’d found on the other side of the field. But just before Dan got over near me I lucked out and just happened to walk over a random cut silver piece not far from where the button was found. We hit that area for a bit longer without too much success and then moved on to check out the 2 knolls. The first knoll had a great look, but the couple of musketballs Dan dug were the only finds. We crossed over a low, wooded spot between the 2 knolls, and as soon as we entered the next field we heard that sweet sound of heavy iron. We started finding a button here and there, and when we got up to the top of the knoll we decided to grid it due to all the brick and iron present. Well, we quickly realized we had put ourselves on quite an early (and apparently unhunted) site as finds were coming out at a regular pace. It was also almost completely free of modern trash, and basically every target was a pre-1820 relic or coin. It was funny as I had just mentioned to Dan that I’d love to see how nice an old copper would look coming out of this sandy soil, and then within 30 seconds I dug a nice Va halfpenny. And then Dan dug one near that spot a short time later. Later in the day Dan would make a similar statement about wanting to dig a flowing hair copper, and soon afterward missed that by just 3 years with a nice 1810 LC. Dan was also able to find a broad, shallow trash pit and made some awesome early finds there as he elaborated in his post. Just a short distance from the pit I was scanning a shallow, eroded ditch and got a really nice high tone which was reading low 80s on my F75. At first I thought it might be a piece of junk, but I got thinking that we had almost no modern trash at this site so just maybe this would be something nice. I was thinking colonial copper, but was absolutely floored when this gigantic, very thick cut piece flopped out of the plug. It ended up being a ¼ of an 8 reale. I’ve dug a bunch of cut pieces in my day, but this one takes the prize. It had a beautiful edge design as well. Not long after I was randomly wandering on the very back of the knoll and something told me to zig instead of zag, and next thing you know I had another cut piece in my hand which completed the colonial silver hat trick. Not long after that we decided to call it a day, and were already plotting our return visit. We believe the area Dan found earlier in the hunt may actually be where the main house stood, and the area we hunted was just a secondary site. That would be awesome if that was the case. Anyway, this will be remembered as was one of our most enjoyable hunts ever, and the return trip can’t come soon enough. Had a ball Dan!!

Attachments

• 030913a.JPG
    030913a.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 030913b.JPG
    030913b.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 030913c.JPG
    030913c.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 030913d.JPG
    030913d.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 030913e.JPG
    030913e.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 030913f.JPG
    030913f.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 14

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohoo, three cut pieces including a monster cut piece of an 8 reales....and a beautiful va halfpenny!!!!! What a day!!! You are hereby crowned the cut silver king Bill. How far was this secondary site to the main site Dan found?? Any natural boundaries between the two?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Woohoo, three cut pieces including a monster cut piece of an 8 reales....and a beautiful va halfpenny!!!!! What a day!!! You are hereby crowned the cut silver king Bill. How far was this secondary site to the main site Dan found?? Any natural boundaries between the two?

Joey - its about 100 yards away from the site we hunted, and its just an uphill walk to a point that appears to be the highest in the area.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see the cut silver drought(not that it was THAT long) for you is over. And man did you hit BIG on that one cut silver. Awesome, awesome and MORE awesome finds, Bill! I know this is already a record year for you with cut silvers. Amazing it's only March, too. Keep the great history comin'!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I would love to see some of those buckles in tact!

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Wow that was an awesome day indeed Bill! Congrats on the great finds that you made. I love seeing all your cut silver pieces! Good luck the next time you guys head out. I know there has to be more stuff there for you to find:) Till next time....

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, that 20 minute talk was MORE than worth it! I am very glad that our first site was a no go, funny how things work out. This is going to be a good site, can't wait for the return visit! You were killer with the silver man, just glad I could keep up and dig coppers out of decent soil!

Dan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a day. It must have been a thrill seeing that huge cut silver come out of the ground! I never knew that 8 reale pieces had such a decorative edge detail. Look forward to seeing more good things from this site.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bill!! I can't wait to dig a Spanish silver. Way to go, your having a great year so far!!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I need become best friends with Bill and Dan. lol

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another GREAT hunt boys!!! I wish you wood VIDEO just once so we all could get a glimpse of your LUCKY SUNSHINE!!!! lol.. CONGRATS AS ALWAYS.... HH

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy, here we go again!! Another killer site producing killer relics and coins. Congrats on the 1/4 cut 8 reale, nice to see you dig one of those "thick cuts" for a change. I will be watching for your upcoming posts because I have a feeling they will be loaded with goodies!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh boy, here we go again!! Another killer site producing killer relics and coins. Congrats on the 1/4 cut 8 reale, nice to see you dig one of those "thick cuts" for a change. I will be watching for your upcoming posts because I have a feeling they will be loaded with goodies!

Steve - that's only the 2nd "thick cut" piece I've ever dug. Even though we have a lot of colonial silver in this area, it's mostly cut pieces from small denominations with very few whole coins or coppers. I know it's almost the reverse up your way as you've proven with your finds. I'm certainly not complaining, but it would be fun to dig a little more in the way of variety down here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread