Military Shell Casings, Condom Tin, 1901 Shotgun shell, Concha, Silver

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I don't pay too much attention to the shell casings I find but I ran across an area that generated lots of them from the 40's. I usually keep casings in a separate container and scrap them when I get enough of them to make it worth while. These look like 30-06 casings with various head stamps such as LC 42, TW 42, DM 42, FA 32, SL 43 etc. Also found an interesting shotgun shell with a 1901 date. It got me thinking ... am I throwing away valuable pieces of history? Do people collect these fired shell casings? I could see where it could be interesting to have a collection organized by year and ordinance plant. Is scrapping them the best use?

Found just one coin ... a 1957 quarter. Silver ... sweet. The horse concha is probably modern. I looked up the condom tin on Ebay and they sell for over $20 in good condition. :laughing7: Of course the one I found is junk.

I wonder if that shotgun shell was really from 1901 or if that's more of a patent date kind of thing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• shot shell 1901.jpg
    shot shell 1901.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 514
  • quarter 1957.jpg
    quarter 1957.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 317
  • head stamp tw 42.jpg
    head stamp tw 42.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,163
  • casings.jpg
    casings.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 393
Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some good "stuff" right there. Those license tag year tabs sell pretty well, too! Never seen a 12 gauge like that one before either.

JohnChase1989

Feb 13, 2013
Oregon City, OR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpg

I found this one! It's similar to yours but it says leader not repeater it's a 1901 she'll too

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are guys that collect shotgun head stamps....I send most all of my hundreds to Turtlefoot on here who has put together a really nice site.The 1901 Repeater is a VERY common shell out here....I have dug several hundred of them
Winchester Shotshell Headstamps

They used to have copetition Blue Jay hunts here in the early 1900's,and evidently it and solid brass cases were quite popular

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are guys that collect shotgun head stamps....I send most all of my hundreds to Turtlefoot on here who has put together a really nice site.The 1901 Repeater is a VERY common shell out here....I have dug several hundred of them
Winchester Shotshell Headstamps

They used to have copetition Blue Jay hunts here in the early 1900's,and evidently it and solid brass cases were quite popular

Competition Blue Jay Hunts Sounds Cruel .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread