Found my First Indian Head Cent Today, also a semi-key Wheat!!

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,

I went hunting today at an old church that really is way out in the middle of nowhere. I mean, I'm from the middle of nowhere in central Texas and this was miles of dirt roads just to get to the church. Anyway, because it is so far away from anything I was really hoping it hadn't been hunted very hard or at all. I believe it was built in the 1920s or 1930s and I think it was virgin ground before I went out there. I didn't find any silver, found some clad, and everything old I found was pennies, the folks who live out there really just don't have much to drop that I can find, However, I did find my first Indian head penny, a 1900 and it's in pretty good shape. I found 10 wheat pennies, most of them are kinda toasty but I got dates off of them all, one is a 1922-D! Other non-40/50s are 1919, 1936-D and 1937-D.

I also found what I believe is a WW1 military cufflink but I'll need the guys and gals here to confirm that, it's smaller than a penny and I posted a picture for comparison. Also, a copper Whatsit? tag that says "CAW 29", might be an electric line tag or something? It's about the size of a half dollar. I know the general rule is that where's there's wheats there is silver but I hit that place pretty dang hard for 6 hrs and went over all the places I found coins again in a different grid, may need to wait for some rain to soak the ground before I head to it again, it's just a long trip to make. Also, there's no pavement out at the church of course, but they crushed that red very heavily iron-laden rock out all over the place, really makes the ole G2 send good signals that don't repeat.

Hope you all are having a great week. Good luck to you all and Happy Hunting!

-Kane Kleinschmidt

image-2347261759.jpg

image-2181527125.jpg

image-265171957.jpg

image-2501941327.jpg

image-3341740991.jpg

image-1147928927.jpg

Upvote 3
OP
OP
kleinerschmitter

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah, the cufflink on the back says "R.L. MFG Co Newark NJ"

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. That indian head is in really good shape. Can't wait until I find my first!

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds. Found my 1st IH penny a 1903 last weekend 2 foot off my back porch. Sounds like you mastering the Wheat!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice IH and other finds!

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah, brother! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread