Coin lost 60 years ago found today

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I've been reading treasurenet but this is my first post . I bought my first metal detecter about a week ago . My father-in-law is 72 and he told me he lost a dime in the hayfield when he was 12 . After all this time he still remembered the general area he lost it in . It was thrown to him by his uncle and he didn't catch it and couldn't find it . Well today he and I went to the old field and in less than 30 minutes I dug it up at about 4" . Needless to say it brought smiles to both our faces . HH ;D

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Cool story and welcome to TNet.
Hope to see some photos too, that would be very cool.
Best of luck to you in all your searches.

Happy New Year!

Smiles!
BDoo

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
P #'s,

welcome to the board.

Neat story.

Hope we will be hearing of more finds.

have a good un..............
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
He offered it to me and I said no way . I wasn't about to keep that coin . It was a 41 merc . Thanks all . Don't have pics .

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great story! I have a similar story but no ending yet. I used to run open the gate for a local farmer when I was a kid. He rented some of our land. Once he through me a quarter but I missed it and couldn't find it. I know right where it should be but keep forgetting to look for it. Your post reminded me. However it will only be clad. That was early 70's.

Kent

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great little story Paul. I just know your FIL was some tickled. Keep them stories coming.

Good luck on future MD hunts.

LeJeuene

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome paul. That is indeed a great story. Since most of us have seen a Merc we'll just imagine it. It can't be too much different than my '43. I'll bet it is in better shape than mine though. Hope tpo see soem nice posts in the future.

Laater...

T

TreasureTales

Wonderful story. Your father-in-law has a phenomenal memory. Perhaps he can steer you to some great locations for finding other stuff...stuff you will get to keep. LOL Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.

P

PHANTOM35

WAY TO GO MAN, TO BAD YOU DIDN'T TAKE PIC,S OF THAT SMILE OF HIS...............
HAVE A GOOD YEAR HUNTING ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, once in a while I get a brain fart and remember something like that that may have happened to me when I was a kid. It seems like it was yesterday and I can hardly fathom how darn old I really am and how long ago that occurred. I get to thinking about some event in the past and imagine it was 5 or 10 years ago and when I add it up I am shocked to find it happened 40 years ago! Do any of you "golden oldies" about my age (62) have those epiphanies or is it just me? Monty

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome story! There was one that somebody posted about finding this guys high school ring that he knew generally where he'd lost it and had looked for it for like 25 or 30 years and the guy found it.
With the dime, it's not as much intrinsic value as it's sentimental value. He'd probably been out helping his uncle work in the yard or something and he was excited his uncle flipped him a dime, and then he missed it. If it was my dime, I'd be tickled about you finding it, too.

Way cool story,
HH,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread