First day metal detecting ever... found gold pendant!

marlowe

Mar 14, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Bennett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've wanted a metal detector ever since my imagination went wild after seeing that orange Radio Shack detector when I was a kid (45 now). About a month ago I found this site and have been spending a lot of time reading here and it finally pushed me over the edge to buy one.

Yesterday I took my first detector (Barrett AT Pro, thanks Big Boys Hobbies!) out for my first session. As hopeful as I was, I realized it was going to take time to get the hang of this. Despite my inexperience, I found something interesting.

I searched an area in the woods that was the site of two estates from the mid-late 1800s. Mostly I found lots of junk metal, rocks that registered 80-90 (?), and miscellaneous metal things like a faucet knob. I didn't dig down too much because I was really trying to learn the machine so it was somewhat half-hearted. I kept breaking out the manual, trying all the features, etc.

Then I came across a old garbage pile or something. Compared to the ground surrounding it, this pile was soft and easy to dig in. I uncovered lots of junk you might expect, but was elated to find this gold pendant. I don't know if it's plated or not but it was such a thrill to actually find something interesting!

Now I'm hooked. I was surprised I didn't find any coins. I expected to find something... even a recent penny.

Marlowe

Attachments

• side1.JPG
    side1.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 270
  • side2.JPG
    side2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 9

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congratulations! Looks solid to me. See if you can find any markings on it. Also, I will be 45 in three weeks and my first detector was also from Radio Shack when I was a kid. Mine was yellow!

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had your luck when I hunt..... Congrats and HH.

OP
OP
M

marlowe

Mar 14, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Bennett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the congrats. I want to check for marking but I will need a magnifying glass or a loupe. My eyes don't do microscopic anymore.

Yeah, this was a clear case of beginner's luck!

Tarponhuntr

Feb 24, 2013
Western , NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it ! I laughed out loud when you made the comment about the orange Radio Shack detector. I got one of those for Christmas when I was ten , and that was when I got the bug. It took me 30 years to get another one , and now it's a horribly wonderful obsession !

Congratulations !!!!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:icon_thumright: Wow! Congrats on the lovely gold pendant! Outstanding first day for sure! :notworthy: Partly beginner's luck, partly due to your not quitting after digging lots of junk, so give yourself credit for sticking to it! Looking forward to seeing your future finds also! Andi

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to your new life!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alas, another one has fallen. A LIFETIME of addiction is sure to follow. (and excitement) :)

Congrats!
HH!

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definately pays to not give up and keep sifting through the trash ... it's there. Congrats !!

OP
OP
M

marlowe

Mar 14, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Bennett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Between this find and the support around here, I am determined ...even if my arm is sore today!

TarponHuntr: Yeah, that little orange thing sure did get deep into my cranium!

DORN

Mar 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on taking the next step and actually finding something in the junk. Id be happy to help if you struggle at first. Good luck and enjoy.

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Congrats! sure looks like the real thing. Dont' expect that to happen all the time! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread