after finding a ROLEX and you calm down you wonder the realness........

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
k well happened today, i got off work and was in the mood to detect, there was not much day light left so i picked a road and found a vollyball court. i doubted i would find anything there since its winter but what the heck, gave it a shot. i got my md out of the trunk and started sweeping. in like 1 min i got a hit, dug in the cold sand and out came a watch. i was like whoa!!! then i read it and was like holy ****. i took off so quick to get in the safety of my car i almost forgot my md;) i kept looking at it on the way home. well, i called all my friends and they were like no way, one said it might be a replica. i was like no way its too heavy and the second hand almost sweeps it ticks so fast. so i research the web and find there a number of things about fake rolex's. the first thing i did was remove the watch band to check for a serial number. there was NONE ...... crap crap crap. so im under the impression that its fake, but either way its a AWESOME watch, GREAT quality. there are a few things i would like to ask. what would the value a replica rolex be????? it beats the quality of the watches i see at normal stores;) who knows maybe its real ;) ( ya i wish) k, well the housing is stamped 18K. still if its a fake rolex, why not fake the gold too??? the crystal has the rolex symbol etched on the inside right above MADE, where it says swiss made. the turning knob is a solid piece and the symbol is NOT glued on. (glued is a sign of fake) also there is a ruber washer on the turning knob on a real one, there is none on this one. on the back it is clear. i heard rolex has never made a watch with a clear back. under the glass you can see the pendelum thing, its stamped rolex all over. most of the movements look yellow gold. ( its soo pretty ) here is ALL the visible writing on it, on the face- ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL, SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER OFFICALLY CERTIFIED, T SWISS MADE T, on the back around the glass on the inside it reads - AUTOMATIC STAINLESS STEEL BACK SWISS MADE WATERPROOF, ROLEX. the clasp on the band has many stampings and reads ROLEX, ROLEXA 750, one stamping has a diamond with a womans head facing left inside the diamond and a scroll with A750A below it, there is a 8385, and GENEVE SWISSMADE 18K . so if anyone has some info on this thing can you help out. not to be greedy here , but espicially the "value" of it??????????? im heart broken its not real.
p.s. i have been to mexico and seen some cheap "rolex" watches and this is not one of them, these people really tried hard
p.s.s. i will be watching for lost watch ads in the paper too

sorry about the picks, our other cam is still in the shop, if needed i can take some more, thanks all!!!!

Attachments

• IM000688.JPG
    IM000688.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 15,981
  • IM000707.JPG
    IM000707.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 4,134
  • IM000697.JPG
    IM000697.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 7,312
  • IM000692.JPG
    IM000692.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 7,011
  • IM000693.JPG
    IM000693.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,646
  • IM000694.JPG
    IM000694.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 3,371
  • IM000710.JPG
    IM000710.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,865
Upvote 10
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
like i said dunno on the watch, but the gold..... im in search on some nitric acid locally, its harder than you think, i have called coin shops, jewlers, i almost got some from the hospital from a lady, he said sure ill give you a vial, then, actually let me check with my boss, then she said no.... she really wanted to help me out, so im still calling around

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search on some nitric acid? Why?

Just take it to a jeweler or buy a gold tester (they go cheap n eBay)
If you take it to a jeweler they be able to tell you if it's real or not....real = gold, so you'll know for sure then
Just testing it for gold and finding out it's gold won’t tell you if it's a real Rolex though.

I'm confused ???

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
im pretty sure its not a real rolex. it is stamped 18K on the watch and the band, so at least it may be worth something for its weight in gold. point is if they fake a rolex why not fake the gold content too

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately Rolex never came with a display back...I have a 2005 Submariner and studied Rolex in depth prior to purchasing the Sub. It is possible to purchase an aftermarket display back but I don't think anyone in their right mind would do that! ;D

Also, the etched crown in the 6 0'clock position should not be visible and should definitely not be that big!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find no matter~

HH

the.silver.standard

Dec 10, 2006
Lowell, MA
You win either way... if it is real, you sell it (or find the owner via serial # :-\ ), if it is fake you wear it and have a really COOL story to tell if anyone knows enough to catch you in your fraud!! ;D

By the way, you have one of the coolest finds I have seen on here, EVEN if it is fake.

Congrats!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the.silver.standard said:
You win either way... if it is real, you sell it (or find the owner via serial # :-\ ), if it is fake you wear it and have a really COOL story to tell if anyone knows enough to catch you in your fraud!! ;D

By the way, you have one of the coolest finds I have seen on here, EVEN if it is fake.

Congrats!

yeah! if its a fake it should at least get you a few chicks if you wear it to the bar! ;D

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
I know a little bit about watches, and if it is fake, It is a damn nice fake. Sure looks real to me!!

99Brown

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and if it's real, awesome! I found a Rolex in Florida about 20 years ago on the beach, non detecting. Took it to a jeweler to have it checked, as soon as he had it in his hand he said fake, it was too light weight to be a Rolex. A guy offered me $100.00 for it and I even told him it was a fake, I took the cash, LOL! HH and I hope it's the real deal, Mike

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolex has made "tic" watches as ya'll are calling them for a long time. My father-in-law bought one back in the 80's. They never were popular, because the cheapest fake ones are "tic" watches. The "tic" is a quartz movement which actually keeps better time than any self winding movement I've seen, including Vacheron Constantines, Patek Phillipes, Omegas, any of them. I've never seen that style of Rolex, and I've been going to watch shows since forever. There are however watches that are made for the European market that you never see in the U.S. But I've seen fakes for every watch you can imagine, including Timex. Most of the best Rolex fakes have a Seiko 25 movement or a some other high end Japanese movement, or mid range Swiss movement like a ETA 2824-2 or something to that effect. You can usually buy the good fakes for $100 to $300. I've had dozens that I've picked up for people that either couldn't afford the real ones or didn't want to wear that much money on their wrist. I don't mess with them anymore cause there's too much chance of getting jacked if you have more that 1 or 2 in your possesion. Good luck with that one, you never know until you take it to a certified Rolex dealer, and they can tell you in about 2 seconds for no charge.

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
thanks for the insight all, im going to texas this week and ill find a dealer there, ill keep you all posted

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The watch is great but what camera did you use to take the magnified images?

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1
I love Rolex watches, (from afar since i don't own one), but from what I understand every Rolex watch is registered with Rolex. Meaning, some type of serial number that tells when it was made and where it was sold. Ramapirate may back me up on this. An authorized Rolex dealer should be able to track the authenticity of the watch.

Congrats

Ted

cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3I,White's xlt,Fisher F4,Tesoro Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw on the internet that rolex oyster pertual has been made since 1931. It sells from $3100- $70,000 depending on the exact model.
Just a point of information.
Steve(cintisteve)

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
the camera ??? ya i apologised for the crummy pics, like i stated before our better camera is still in the shop.....

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In order to be a certified Rolex repair person you have to be able to make a watch from a chunk of metal, springs, gears, and all. Well, actually different kinds of metal and jewel bearings (little donuts of ruby or garnet or some other jewel that is used to reduce friction between moving part) I have a friend named George in Charlotte that runs Bonnart Jewelers and he's one. He can make a watch from base metal, springs and all. He can spot a Rolex from across a room. He won't allow a fake in his shop. I took one into his shop back in the mid-eighties to see if I could fool him and he told me to get the heck out and take that trash with me. He said he could lose his certifications for messing with the fakes.
I bought a real stainless steel Rolex off of a guys arm in the mid 90's for $150.00. It had belonged to the guy's uncle that he never got along with and he didn't really want it. I took it and paid my buddy another $200 to clean it and set the timing on it, which was a super deal. I wore it for a couple of years and sold it for $800.00 and got an 18k Omega Seamaster in the deal for part trade. Real Rolexs are as good as money, better than some money. Get that one checked out!

HH,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread