Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dug the old town dump today with scotk9

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Scot

Feb 2013
    Knightsville
    Whites DFX,Bounty Hunter 505,101
    45 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Very cool

Mar 2013
    Montgomery County PA
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 250 Bounty Hunter
    18 times
    Ouch! feeling guilty about that "bored" comment to you today... I was more frustrated by all the roots that I had to contend with. I did find more bottles today, in a second area about 5 feet from where we were. I am happy to see the small round Dill's bottle (Surf). I think we set one aside thinking it was more likely a perfume bottle.
    Here is a pic of the 1gallon bottle that cti4sw refers to in the original post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130322_210831.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	763848

us
    Jan 2013
    seeing eye shovel
    1448 times
    Hey Scot,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for bringing the big vinegar jug. You guys did well. Is there anything embossed on the base? I see something down on the heel.

Being the glass guy that I am, I'd wanna keep digging, and see if you get some more 19th Century glass...

Continued good luck guys.

That's not a Speas, by chance, is it?

us
    Jul 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    878 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    Hello cti4sw,

TOC is Turn of the Century. The Dr. White's Lon-Ge Hai-La is made on an Automatic Bottling Machine and is 1910 plus change.

The Dill could be late 1880 -1900. Better pictures showing the base and lip finish. taken in natural light might help...

The bottle "market," unless very top end, is in the dumper currently. I'd keep embossed 19th Century glass all day long, if you can store it. Makes great gifts & thank you's too.
    You know, after it was out of the ground, Scotk9 did think it might be a vinegar bottle. I do plan on going back next week on Monday; I won't be able to do much T/W/T, but whatever I miss I can pick up on the weekend. When I took the individual bottle pics I was trying to get info on the companies so I just snapped some shots with the cell phone. Now that I have that for the key finds, I'll get the camera out and take some better pics outside for you, and I'll get pics of the base embossing and heads.

Quote Originally Posted by scotk9 View Post
    Ouch! feeling guilty about that "bored" comment to you today... I was more frustrated by all the roots that I had to contend with. I did find more bottles today, in a second area about 5 feet from where we were. I am happy to see the small round Dill's bottle (Surf). I think we set one aside thinking it was more likely a perfume bottle.
    Here is a pic of the 1gallon bottle that cti4sw refers to in the original post.
    Don't feel bad. I'm not used to digging glass, this was my first effort, and there's no way you could have known that without me telling you, which I hadn't. There are days I get bored with the fields, so digging through 80-year-old garbage for guaranteed finds is a nice reprieve. I will say that my at next foray into the dump there I will not be gathering many bottles unless they really catch my eye, so we'll have to find some more of those PO boxes (or maybe Wawa or milk crates?) to store the many intact junk bottles we find. I like the idea of using them for gifts/thanks/etc, so whenever I need something like that I'll nip by the supply behind the bumper shed and grab what I need instead of keeping them all at home.

EDIT: On another note, my younger brother recently took up lampmaking on the side. He basically goes and buys either a cheap lamp to take apart or a lamp kit, which he installs into liquor bottles (one hole to drill at the base for the cord), adds some creative engineering designs, and then sells. If anyone has any old but common bottles they'd like made into a lamp, I can PM you his email and you can get in touch with him for quotes. Just let me know. I might consider doing that with some of the larger, common jugs I find, and turning the wide-mouth jars into vases - I think model paint on the condiment glass embossing would look pretty cool as a vase or other decorative piece. Thoughts?
    Last edited by cti4sw; Mar 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM.

My Best Finds
    Oldest Visible Year: 1730
    Colonial Coppers: 7
    Large Cents: 10
    Half Cents: 2
    Indian Head Cents: 6
    Silver: 31
    Gold: 1
    Bells: 5

Mar 2013
    Montgomery County PA
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 250 Bounty Hunter
    18 times
    Not much to go by. Surf, You are better at this than I am. I hope this picture shows enough to determine some background on the vinager bottle. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130323_004524.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	763967

us
    Jan 2013
    seeing eye shovel
    1448 times
    Hey Scot,

Every little bit helps:

"T in an inverted triangle……Turner Bros. Glass Company, Terre Haute, Indiana (c.1905-1930)." GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE~~PAGE THREE

us
    Nov 2012
    South Hadley
    Minelab Explorer
    133 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    hmm - Id like to see pics of the hole you're digging - -is the dump in ash....or dirt(?)....are there a ton of rusty beer cans(?)....neat finds so far(!)

us
    Jul 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    878 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteWmass View Post
    hmm - Id like to see pics of the hole you're digging - -is the dump in ash....or dirt(?)....are there a ton of rusty beer cans(?)....neat finds so far(!)
    Dirt and ash, sometimes in layers and sometimes mixed. Lots of rusted tin cans, haven't noticed any beer cans in particular. I'll get pics this evening or tomorrow.

My Best Finds
    Oldest Visible Year: 1730
    Colonial Coppers: 7
    Large Cents: 10
    Half Cents: 2
    Indian Head Cents: 6
    Silver: 31
    Gold: 1
    Bells: 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links