Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to a local creek that scotk9 had pegged as a town dump area. We picked a spot on the bank with a lot of debris and started digging, but no MDs today. In the end, we came out with this haul:

haul.jpg

53 intact bottles
bottles.jpg

Of the bottles, these were the most interesting:
Rosenberger's Dairies pint milk jar
Rosenberger milk.jpg

The Dill Co. of Norristown, PA unknown vial
dill jar.jpg

Dr. White's Lon-Ge Hai-La cough syrup from Lehighton, PA
Dr White.jpg

We did recover a gallon jug that Scotk9 took home. I don't have a pic of that one, hopefully he does.

Then, the rest of it:

20 flatware shards
shards.jpg

a flat serving dish c.1911 with the mark "Moriyama"
Moriyama pottery.jpg

a split twin-handled vintage china soup bowl whose glue is drying​
20130321_213510.jpg

a mostly-intact ebony china goblet
20130321_213448.jpg

an antique bronze door plate
20130321_213429.jpg

a vintage ceramic baby doll's head
20130321_213418.jpg

We also found my first horseshoe, which is languishing in some ACV, Japanese porcelain feet to some sort of figurine, a thimble advertising Whitman Electricians of Lansdale, PA, a vintage Listerine bottle from Lambert Pharmaceuticals, 3 mason jar lids, a tin pepper can, and a few other items I can't think of off the top of my head. Can't wait to expand the hole and find more cool stuff 8-)

EDIT: The milk bottle, Dill Co. bottle, cough syrup bottle, thimble, Moriyama pottery dish, and vintage china soup bowl will be added to the Hatfield Museum & History Society collection.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! those are great finds! If there are soda bottles, do they have dates on the bottom?

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! those are great finds! If there are soda bottles, do they have dates on the bottom?

I have no idea how to read the bottoms. On anything glass, period.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice
icon_thumright.gif
Congratulations
occasion14.gif

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
$(KGrHqJHJEUFCZh0wR4SBQuP8cKD!!~~60_57.JPG
Dr Whites Lon GE Hai La Lung Healer Sign | eBay

Hello cti4sw,

Nice finds, sir. Looks like you are just getting down to the TOC level, at that dump. Will you be returning and broadening your search / digging?

Kudos for donating to the local Historical Museum.

The Professor Dill's, I believe, is the oldest. Looks like it might be a sample, or a Worm Syrup. He made a number of products in Norristown:

"PROF DILL'S BALM OF LIFE THE DILL MEDICINE CO. NORRISTOWN, PA.
DILL'S WORM SYRUP
DILL'S COUGH SYRUP DILL MEDICINE CO. NORRISTOWN, PA."

Dill%20Box.jpg
Antique Medicines Bottle Nexus Section - D -

Gemini Alpha

Nov 19, 2012
Europe
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Bottles! And that Goblet would be really cool if it were undamaged! Still, very cool finds. Love digging for bottles! Doorplate rocks as well. bye GA

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing this cool stuff!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the milk bottle.

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds I like the old bottles. I have been searching for an old town dump just over the hill from where I live. My grandfather took me down there when I was a kid. Said they stopped using it when he was a youngster. As a kid I dug many nice bottles out of there and sold them at a local hobby store. I'm guessing anything in there would have to be 100 plus years old by now. But the woods have grown up so and it all looks so much different than I remember... hey its only been 40 years since I dug in there how can things change that much?

Posts like yours keep me inspired to keep searching... I know its there.

Oh and your not married are you? Can't imagine the wife letting you take over the kitchen like that...

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello cti4sw,

Nice finds, sir. Looks like you are just getting down to the TOC level, at that dump. Will you be returning and broadening your search / digging?

Kudos for donating to the local Historical Museum.

The Professor Dill's, I believe, is the oldest. Looks like it might be a sample, or a Worm Syrup. He made a number of products in Norristown:

"PROF DILL'S BALM OF LIFE THE DILL MEDICINE CO. NORRISTOWN, PA.
DILL'S WORM SYRUP
DILL'S COUGH SYRUP DILL MEDICINE CO. NORRISTOWN, PA."

Thanks for the info, surf. I was actually hoping you'd be making an appearance. What is "TOC"? Yes, at some point I do expect to broaden the search, although Scotk9 says he's bored with glass for now :tongue3: What age would you put on the Dill sample? Are any of these bottles collectible to the point we could make a profit on eBay? I only ask because I live in a small apartment and don't have space to store them, and Scotk9 doesn't want all of them. We also found several vintage condiment bottles, some old Alka-Seltzer vials, a large Nujol mineral oil bottle, and shoe polish bottles.

webatch said:
Oh and your not married are you? Can't imagine the wife letting you take over the kitchen like that...

She works second shift and was not home when I did all that. By the time she got home they were all cleaned & securely packaged in the crate they arrived in. But you're right, anyway, that if she were home there would have been NO way I'd have been able to do that lol :occasion14:

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello cti4sw,

TOC is Turn of the Century. The Dr. White's Lon-Ge Hai-La is made on an Automatic Bottling Machine and is 1910 plus change.

The Dill could be late 1880 -1900. Better pictures showing the base and lip finish. taken in natural light might help...

The bottle "market," unless very top end, is in the dumper currently. I'd keep embossed 19th Century glass all day long, if you can store it. Makes great gifts & thank you's too.

$T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUctDBRS6mTw0z!~~60_57.JPG
Old Dill's Cough Syrup Sample Medicine Bottle Paper Label Embossed | eBay

catphoto.jpg

scotk9

Mar 19, 2013
Montgomery County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
Ouch! feeling guilty about that "bored" comment to you today... I was more frustrated by all the roots that I had to contend with. I did find more bottles today, in a second area about 5 feet from where we were. I am happy to see the small round Dill's bottle (Surf). I think we set one aside thinking it was more likely a perfume bottle.
Here is a pic of the 1gallon bottle that cti4sw refers to in the original post.
20130322_210831.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Scot,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for bringing the big vinegar jug. You guys did well. Is there anything embossed on the base? I see something down on the heel.

Being the glass guy that I am, I'd wanna keep digging, and see if you get some more 19th Century glass...

Continued good luck guys.

That's not a Speas, by chance, is it?

SpeasL.jpg

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello cti4sw,

TOC is Turn of the Century. The Dr. White's Lon-Ge Hai-La is made on an Automatic Bottling Machine and is 1910 plus change.

The Dill could be late 1880 -1900. Better pictures showing the base and lip finish. taken in natural light might help...

The bottle "market," unless very top end, is in the dumper currently. I'd keep embossed 19th Century glass all day long, if you can store it. Makes great gifts & thank you's too.

You know, after it was out of the ground, Scotk9 did think it might be a vinegar bottle. I do plan on going back next week on Monday; I won't be able to do much T/W/T, but whatever I miss I can pick up on the weekend. When I took the individual bottle pics I was trying to get info on the companies so I just snapped some shots with the cell phone. Now that I have that for the key finds, I'll get the camera out and take some better pics outside for you, and I'll get pics of the base embossing and heads.

Ouch! feeling guilty about that "bored" comment to you today... I was more frustrated by all the roots that I had to contend with. I did find more bottles today, in a second area about 5 feet from where we were. I am happy to see the small round Dill's bottle (Surf). I think we set one aside thinking it was more likely a perfume bottle.
Here is a pic of the 1gallon bottle that cti4sw refers to in the original post.

Don't feel bad. I'm not used to digging glass, this was my first effort, and there's no way you could have known that without me telling you, which I hadn't. There are days I get bored with the fields, so digging through 80-year-old garbage for guaranteed finds is a nice reprieve. I will say that my at next foray into the dump there I will not be gathering many bottles unless they really catch my eye, so we'll have to find some more of those PO boxes (or maybe Wawa or milk crates?) to store the many intact junk bottles we find. I like the idea of using them for gifts/thanks/etc, so whenever I need something like that I'll nip by the supply behind the bumper shed and grab what I need instead of keeping them all at home.

EDIT: On another note, my younger brother recently took up lampmaking on the side. He basically goes and buys either a cheap lamp to take apart or a lamp kit, which he installs into liquor bottles (one hole to drill at the base for the cord), adds some creative engineering designs, and then sells. If anyone has any old but common bottles they'd like made into a lamp, I can PM you his email and you can get in touch with him for quotes. Just let me know. I might consider doing that with some of the larger, common jugs I find, and turning the wide-mouth jars into vases - I think model paint on the condiment glass embossing would look pretty cool as a vase or other decorative piece. Thoughts?

Last edited:

scotk9

Mar 19, 2013
Montgomery County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
Not much to go by. Surf, You are better at this than I am. I hope this picture shows enough to determine some background on the vinager bottle. 20130323_004524.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread