Cyrus McCormick Token

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I found this New Year's Day. Its a Cyrus McCormick token. I googled it and found a little info on it below. Enjoy.

From a google search:

"This bronze medal was sponsored by the International Harvester Company in 1931 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the invention of the reaper by Cyrus McCormick in 1831. This was the first mechanized agriculture tool and it inspired the invention of many other important farm tools and equipment.

The formal centennial celebrations were held at Walnut Grove Farm, Virginia in July of 1931. Other celebrations were held in 50 U.S. cities where International Harvester operated. International celebrations continued over that year. This was the official medal and was struck by Medallic Art Co. for IHC. 25,000 pieces were struck and were not sold but given as gifts or souvenirs.

The obverse shows a portrait partially facing left of the inventor, the legend around is: CYRUS HALL McCORMICK. To left: 1809-1884 and to right: INVENTOR OF THE REAPER.

The reverse shows two men, one mounted, using a horse-drawn reaper, proceeding to right. Around, INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER COMPANY and below the Reaper, on a shield, CENTENNIAL OF THE REAPER. There are two crossed wheat straws between 1831 and 1931.

These medals are quite scarce today in choice uncirculated condition. Estimated value: $60 -$125."

Attachments

• Cyrus McCormick.jpg
    Cyrus McCormick.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 748
Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice unusual find.

I have one that my mother gave me that was my grandfather's then this past fall I dug one also. You don't see to many of these around.

Congrats!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice token

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions