First Hunt of 2007 Yields Some Silver

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out with Carl today and we hunted a few yards in between all of the nasty rain we got today. My first signal of the day was reading about 7" deep. So I get down to dig and stick my knife into the ground and hit something hard... The original brick sidewalk. Sadly, once I removed the brick and got underneath it all I got was a cheap silver-plated spoon.

I finished the day with 3 wheats and a 1956 Silver Roosevelt Dime. I even resisted the urge to clean it off so I wouldn't scratch it, haha. Granted, it's just a rosie, but I'm working on resisting the urge to rub coins instantly to see what it is and check the date. Don't want to scratch a valuable coin someday!

01-05-07.JPG

Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good deal. The urge is very hard to resist. It takes much discipline and self sacrifice but the rewards are worth it. ;D

Bob

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Soak it in water overnight.

If it is just caked on mud/dirt (as the photo would imply), it will dissolve and rinse off nicely; without rubbing.

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
nice silver coin and i also never scrub my coins off. but that does take patience. when i was a kid i would gouge coins to check their dates.

i figure you get twice the fun if you wait till you get home.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:

If it is just caked on mud/dirt (as the photo would imply), it will dissolve and rinse off nicely; without rubbing.

I already rubbed the dirt off with my finger, haha. I just wanted to prove that I could get a coin home without trying to clean it, haha. Myself and everyone else I hunt with has a bad habit of immediately rubbing our coins to check for dates.

I'm not too worried about scratching a rosie though, they are just junk silver.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soak and rinse. yep. hard running water. Great that you didn't field clean it! Took me a while to get to that point too. Always a good sign kicking off the new year with silver. Good luck and happy hunting in 2007!!!

-Buckleboy

D

doyboy

bscofield6 said:
thurmownator said:

I already rubbed the dirt off with my finger, haha. I just wanted to prove that I could get a coin home without trying to clean it, haha. Myself and everyone else I hunt with has a bad habit of immediately rubbing our coins to check for dates.

So, is that why I notice a lot of "hairline" rub marks on those silvery objects ;D? You don't want to ruin that 1794 Flowing Hair half dime you find! Happy hunting, bud, and good luck on achieving your 2007 goals!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Silver is Silver. One thing you must remember, the price of silver these days a Rosy or a Mercury no matter
what condition will probably bring you around 70 cents. Now I don't call that junk!. Get 2 or 3 hundred of those junk Rosy's and you got yourself and good back up detector.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doyboy said:
bscofield6 said:
thurmownator said:

So, is that why I notice a lot of "hairline" rub marks on those silvery objects ;D? You don't want to ruin that 1794 Flowing Hair half dime you find! Happy hunting, bud, and good luck on achieving your 2007 goals!

Haha, yeah, sadly my silver all has hairline scratches on it. I guess that's because I've just never cared and just enjoy finding them and never really had any numismatic interest in coins until recently. Good luck on your goals as well!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
Nice find, Silver is Silver. One thing you must remember, the price of silver these days a Rosy or a Mercury no matter
what condition will probably bring you around 70 cents. Now I don't call that junk!. Get 2 or 3 hundred of those junk Rosy's and you got yourself and good back up detector.

HH, Ringfinder

I call it junk silver because it has no premium over its silver content. As for a backup detector... I've got my Explorer XS that I use every trip out, and then my other machines are a Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett Ace 250, and a Whites 5000di. Hopefully they all do go down the crapper in the same day! haha

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
ringfinder said:

HH, Ringfinder

I call it junk silver because it has no premium over its silver content. As for a backup detector... I've got my Explorer XS that I use every trip out, and then my other machines are a Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett Ace 250, and a Whites 5000di. Hopefully they all do go down the crapper in the same day! haha

Yep me too, I also have a Minelab Soverign, Whites XLT, Fisher 1235, Tesoro Tiger Shark, & a Depth Pro Headhunter. But if you don't need another back up maybe you could buy a new coil for anyone of the those detectors. Or at gas prices, a few tanks of gas. LOL

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
bscofield6 said:
ringfinder said:

HH, Ringfinder

Yep me too, I also have a Minelab Soverign, Whites XLT, Fisher 1235, Tesoro Tiger Shark, & a Depth Pro Headhunter. But if you don't need another back up maybe you could buy a new coil for anyone of the those detectors. Or at gas prices, a few tanks of gas. LOL

Haha, yeah, no kidding on the few tanks of gas!! But I'm like Scrooge..... I want it all.... haha, I hoard gold and silver! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread