Mysterious Red Box

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Yesterday I get out detecting along an old wooded logging road that was also a huge gold mining area. I get several large targets near the side of what's left of the old skid road. One is a huge wrench. The thing must weigh 10 lbs! The other is a metal box that still has some red paint on it. I take a picture with my cell as it's coming out of the ground just in case I find it's loaded with coins or something interesting. I get the box home and decide to give it a bath in a mild citric acid solution to remove some of the rust ... hoping that maybe somethings written on it. The hinge is rusted shut too so maybe it will loosen it up a bit as well. Enough rust gets removed so that I can make out the words "flameless flares". I'm thinking what the heck is that. A little more cleaning with the toothbrush and I see "No 70 and the word Grote.

A Google search results in finding these boxes on Ebay, Etsy etc. as collectible tins some with reflector set-ups inside. I never knew a flameless flare was a reflector but I learn something new every day. Ha! I pry open the lid and what do you know 3 sets of reflectors that are in a lot better shape then the box.

Look at this one (box only) … “beautiful wear and patina” only $50 LMAO:

Vintage Tin or Mailbox Grote No 70 Flameless Flares by Florimancy

I’m amazed that the reflectors were still in one piece. Why throw them away? That wrench was still usable as well. Hmmm. Disgruntled logging employee??? Who knows.

Attachments

• red box unearthed.jpg
    red box unearthed.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 225
  • red box in sink.jpg
    red box in sink.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 199
  • wrench cab.jpg
    wrench cab.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 207
  • red box flare flash.jpg
    red box flare flash.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 4

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what happen! Guy left the box on the truck somewhere pulled off and the box went on the side of the road and got covered up by equipment and then boom 10-15 years later you are there to find it!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find ! I'm pretty sure I still have a set out back yet.
Used to carry it in my vehicle at one time

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kool finds,,,look like some one broke down beside the road and was working on the vehicle , possibly left those items due to night time .

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got a mental picture of Wiley Coyote in my head.:laughing7:nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread