Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As it turns out, the area Scotk9 and I have been digging is not the "old town dump" as we'd originally believed. For starters, there just isn't enough junk. Most likely it's debris from inside and around the farmhouse that used to occupy the site where the auto body shop Scotk9 works in now stands. Anywho.... Surf? Forget those other bottles. Most of them were probably old curealls, condiments, and shoe polish. Check out what we found today... I'll let Scotk9 post his own pictures, but here is what I took home:

1913 Pennsylvania license plate
1913 PA license plate.jpg

Coolest looking bottle I've ever seen
figure bottle.jpg

Japanese salt & pepper shakers
S&P shakers.jpg

Hind's Honey & Almond Cream, A.S. Hinds Co., Bloomfield NJ U.S.A.
Hind's Honey & Almond Cream.jpg

Decorative ceramic urn - yes, that is a tree root growing through it :icon_scratch:
decorative urn.jpg

Glass butter dish
butter dish.jpg

Small syrup jar
syrup jar.jpg

Another one of Professor Dill's curealls from Norristown, PA - this is larger than the first one from last week
The Dill Co., Norristown PA.jpg

First few from the new hole
20130326_152848.jpg

Kids' fork - nonmetallic; thinking Bakelite, maybe?
kids fork.jpg

I also happened to find 3 more horseshoes before Scotk9 made it outside to join me. Two have the toe grab and spooned heels, one is a bar type. The first one I found (last week) resembles the first two from today; the bar type was unique. We dug out 4 intact cobalt milk of magnesia bottles and 2 broken ones that Scotk9 kept, about 6-8 beer/liquor bottle types that he took for his breweriana collection, what is probably a large IPA bottle but looked cool anyway that he also took, and a bunch more medicinal and condiment bottles that we tossed aside. I also brought home a pair of makeup compacts that are in ACV, although they're probably empty. There was also a silver-plated spoon, it's pretty toasted but I'll try to get a hallmark off it later.

Oh yeah, did I mention the green Ball mason jar? I already had 2 aqua ones here at home (plus the 15 other clear ones I found at a different site) so Scotk9 took that as well. I hope it cleaned up nicely, my dating chart puts it at 1910-1923. Would love to see a nice pic of that!

Gonna take these horseshoes to work to be grit-blasted tomorrow afternoon. I'll post pics when I'm satisfied with their cleanliness.

Turned over 3 boxes of period artifacts to the Hatfield Museum & History Society tonight. The HMHS president had a pretty wide grin when he saw it all :coffee2:

8-) :goldtrophy: :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...1930s, huh? Fits in with the rest of the stuff we're finding, then. Seems to be about 1900-1930s, +/- 20. I do like the little guy, although Scotk9 has fallen for the 1913 license plate we found :)

Hey cti4sw,

I remember commenting when you were showing the first find from this dump that you were flirting with the Turn of the Twentieth Century, and I believe you are. There was all sorts of cool glass that came outta the first quarter of the 20th.

I don't know the exact history on this prosperous looking glass gentleman. Perhaps he's a California Perfume Co., or competitor product. I don't know. The hand painted feebay example indicates earlier. The top hat speaks to the gay Nineties. The hay day of glass candy containers and little figurals like this began about 1910.

I always look for makers marks, and date codes on bases, heels & backs. This can often nail down a date.

Is the hat plastic or bakelite?

I can see where Scot would admire that enamel plate. Those early ones are pretty desirable.

Brake a shovel.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Scores , I know where a few large piles of old bottles are around my neck of the woods but can never find anyone who wants to dig through them with me ...

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Surf, I looked a little closer at the figurine's feet. There was some embossing there, but it's mostly worn away... the only legible lettering left is "ARP CO". The hat is not metal, but whether plastic or Bakelite I would not know the difference. The cap is black, has some sort of texture to it. The seam runs all the way up to the top but doesn't cross the lip to the orifice. It does appear to have an open pontil.

scotk9

Mar 19, 2013
Montgomery County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
We had a prosperus day of glass recon. i am over the top excited with the 1913 Pennsy plate. It certainly validates the siteand moves it up a few knotches from "dump".
I don't have the Ball jar pic yet , but I do have a few others. We found Esslinger, Sheidts,Gluckenheimer and a few other beverage bottles. The last 5 minutes were retieving a Mount Vernon Pure Rye Whiskey bottle.
Still has the wire for the seal on the top of the neck. Just saw a story yesteday that someone is reproducing this with the original George Washington recipe. going to sell for $95
a bottle... The second bottle in line is a hand made, no seams, no makers mark. Probably 'utilitarian". The third large bottle has a triangle with a W over T., approx gallon size
The seams disappear at the base of the neck and the top s broad and flat.
have a look and identify anything you can. 20130328_191503.jpg 20130328_191751.jpg 20130328_191802.jpg 20130328_191843.jpg 20130328_191826.jpg 20130328_191903.jpg

Hollisalbert

Aug 8, 2013
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish to see some of the textures in the cap. So, can you post some of them..??

Dogtirednj

Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bottle resembled the old Lioret Lilac perfume bottles. Maybe it's a competitor Or a knockoff? Those were circa 1920-1930.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Idk. The figurine bottle is in my car so I'll try to remember to upload some hat pics. We abandoned the dump in late April for the spring/summer season as the area has heavy overgrowth and may resume some searching in the fall when the foliage begins to die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread