image-2065692769.jpg

image-2286720303.jpg

image-475294886.jpg

Upvote 50

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a great piece of history there.id try to find everything i could about him.sweet find.

OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Has to be my all time favorite find

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super Find Mark!! As has been noted, he was a Private in Co. K and listed in the Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System by the National Park Service. WTG, Q.

I voted BANNER!!! How about you?

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. It is so dang rare to get a name and unit on that civil war stuff. Great find sir. I am guessing he lost it maybe even digging that trench. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GRICH.png

An untimely death for this hero and young man. It's amazing to be able to put a photograph with the ring you just found in such a short timeframe. Certainly a significant historic find and definitely an amazingly banner worthy find. All too often we see Civil War artifacts posted which are out of context with the men who were on the battlefield. Your find and the great research by Jones Indiana have established a true personal context! I do hope that you can locate the family of this man and return this precious artifact! Keep us posted on this amazing discovery!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm guessing he was on the way home and died if i read that right btw jones thank you bud that was amazing to find that

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
Your welcome Mark thanks for sharing. Do a lot of research and felt something would be found.

You know where you found the ring the location could be used to track his movements. To recreate the story.

You could spend many hours researching and I'm sure you will find some amazing material along the way:)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!

But now, I'm confused. I've been hunting for more years than I wanta count and I have NEVER even HEARD of such rings. With all the Civil War finds I've ever read about, not once! How's come, NOBODY seems to have heard of these? Let alone found one?

Not downplaying one of the truly most awesome finds I've ever seen, just taken aback and curious.

Thanks for sharing!!

HH!

OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure i was told that it is super rare and there are not many out there

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
Have dealt with these before. Sometimes they find wedding rings with names on the inside band.

Yes it's a fairly rare ring.

Usually the people with these rings spent money on pictures of themselves.

Not to flaunt wealth but not to be lost in history has been my impression.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mark, look at #s 6 & 7. This is from Stanley Phillips Supplement I CW book that's out of print. #6 is captioned "Silver identification ring. Engraved "P. Hines Co. G W. VA Vols". #7 is engraved "Sergt. Joseph F Friend Co. K 3rd MD PHB' (PHB designates Potomac Home Guard). Yours is the first that I have ever seen dug. Q.

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 306
OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha Quinn ur awesome... I'm very excited to find that ring it the first pice of silver I have ever found and to be one of a kind pice of history ( only one mans ring ) I could have never asked for more and as you said I have seen some badges dug but never a ring it was in my hand and I was skeptical

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner all the way ! I am stunned to just now be finding out about these -( Apparently most of the other respondants are too ! ) must be darn few
of these ever found - because there are mountains of every other kind of Civil War relic and artifact dug and posted on this site .

az mike

Jan 5, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing to see how quickly the history of this can be put together by the people on this forum. Especially since no one has ever heard of or seen these rings. The history lesson I have learned here is priceless. Thank you to everyone involved in getting the information on here so quickly.

Amazing find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread