• image-104114698.jpg
    image-104114698.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 3

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind a hard to make out but I can see it a little have you tried to research it yet.cool find buddy and welcome.

OP
OP
J

jstorz

Greenie
Feb 14, 2013
No John Boy I haven't had time.I wish it were bronze so it would be in better shape. Thanks!!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
My first guess is a "Hard Times" token. Is it the size of a large cent, ~28mm? That style of eagle on the reverse looks typical for the era, but I don't find Jackson on a horse in my books. By the way, where did you come up with the middle initial O? "Old Hickory"?
John in the Great 208

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried looking for it to and wasn't able to come up with a match.I'm sure it'll get figured out here.

OP
OP
J

jstorz

Greenie
Feb 14, 2013
John Boy

It's a little larger than a 1/2 dollar,but smaller than silver dollar. About same thickness.
Thanks

OP
OP
J

jstorz

Greenie
Feb 14, 2013
Idaho Tokens,

I have a few hard times tokens I found, but this is different. It seems more like a inaugural medal, but I'm not sure. The O is very plain.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "O" may have once been a hole so that the medallion could be worn on a chain or wire loop. Pewter swells in the ground, so it might appear smaller than it once was, and be mistaken for a letter.

GREAT find!

-Buck

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Here's a medal that looks like it- Super find!

Rare 1828 Andrew Jackson on Horseback Campaign Me

Rare 1828 Andrew Jackson on Horseback Campaign Medal A Jack 1828-7 in Sullivan, its unique design makes this one of the most sought-after of this series of rare larger 1828 campaign medals. Nineteenth century authorities Bushnell and Satterlee both noted that this medal was "carefully" and "rigidly" suppressed, which probably accounts for its rarity today. While Sullivan offers no explanation for this "suppression," an 1828 Henry Clay medal in this same sale affords one. Note that this Jackson medal reads, "The Advocate of the American System," on reverse. But of course Clay was the "Advocate of the American System," not Jackson, which clearly would have led to this medal's withdrawal as a campaign item. Sullivan also lists an unpictured medal, A Jack 1828-8, which has the same equestrian obverse, but a reverse reading, "Democracy Prevails Throughout the Union," a slogan which makes a lot more sense for Jackson! But where did the pro-Clay reverse come from? There was no apparent answer until the discovery of the matching Clay medal, clearly by the same manufacturer. Somewhere in the manufacturing process the Clay reverse die was muled with the Jackson obverse on a number of the medals! Probably not more than 5-10 examples in the hobby in decent condition. This one grades a solid very fine and is free of significant defects. The suspension hole at the top is very large, outside the normal parameters, and must be viewed as a negative. Still a very collectible example and the finest example Joe Brown was able to obtain in a half century of specializing in political tokens and medals. 38 mm. Lot:255

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a medal that looks like it- Super find!

Rare 1828 Andrew Jackson on Horseback Campaign Me

Rare 1828 Andrew Jackson on Horseback Campaign Medal A Jack 1828-7 in Sullivan, its unique design makes this one of the most sought-after of this series of rare larger 1828 campaign medals. Nineteenth century authorities Bushnell and Satterlee both noted that this medal was "carefully" and "rigidly" suppressed, which probably accounts for its rarity today. While Sullivan offers no explanation for this "suppression," an 1828 Henry Clay medal in this same sale affords one. Note that this Jackson medal reads, "The Advocate of the American System," on reverse. But of course Clay was the "Advocate of the American System," not Jackson, which clearly would have led to this medal's withdrawal as a campaign item. Sullivan also lists an unpictured medal, A Jack 1828-8, which has the same equestrian obverse, but a reverse reading, "Democracy Prevails Throughout the Union," a slogan which makes a lot more sense for Jackson! But where did the pro-Clay reverse come from? There was no apparent answer until the discovery of the matching Clay medal, clearly by the same manufacturer. Somewhere in the manufacturing process the Clay reverse die was muled with the Jackson obverse on a number of the medals! Probably not more than 5-10 examples in the hobby in decent condition. This one grades a solid very fine and is free of significant defects. The suspension hole at the top is very large, outside the normal parameters, and must be viewed as a negative. Still a very collectible example and the finest example Joe Brown was able to obtain in a half century of specializing in political tokens and medals. 38 mm. Lot:255

Good work Bramblefind, You got it!

View attachment 769390

View attachment 769391

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jstorz

Greenie
Feb 14, 2013
Bramble find,

Great work!!! This is the exact medal I have. I could read the obverse fine, but couldn't figure the O. It is a hole swelled shut from being in the ground so long. I can make out some of the letters on the reverse also now that you sent the thread with pic. It identical to that one. I'm not sure what it would worth in the condition, but I'm proud of it anyway. Thanks so much. I found several mini balls, a 1829 large cent, and 1/2 dime within a 10 foot radius. It was not far from a republic of Texas camp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread