Possible Rev. War button found in Iowa!?

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these two pieces in a farm field along the river. The button is cast brass ( including the drilled shank). I have found about 20 cast brass, drilled shank civilian buttons & a "puffy" two piece vented back button in this field previously.
There is a period after the "24" on the button. It is slightly larger than a penny. It is also slightly convex.
I'm hoping someone on the forum can identify this button for me!

Iowa Dale

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 5

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im assuming you are thinking of the Continental Army regiment cast pewter 1 piece buttons and that is would be regiment "24" the Continental Army 24 regiment did not have the 2 that you're button has. The only regiment 2 that looks like the 2 on the button you have is Continental Army 26 regiment. However the 4 on your button has an exact match with the Continental Army 24 regiment but the 2 does not match up. I'm not saying this is or isn't a Rev. War button but you may want too ask or PM "TheCannonBallGuy" too have him look @ this button.

OP
OP
Ia.FurTrade

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im assuming you are thinking of the Continental Army regiment cast pewter 1 piece buttons and that is would be regiment "24" the Continental Army 24 regiment did not have the 2 that you're button has. The only regiment 2 that looks like the 2 on the button you have is Continental Army 26 regiment. However the 4 on your button has an exact match with the Continental Army 24 regiment but the 2 does not match up. I'm not saying this is or isn't a Rev. War button but you may want too ask or PM "TheCannonBallGuy" too have him look @ this button.

Thanx HSD, I don't really know what it is,wheather it could be American, British, French or Spanish..........I just think it's possibly 1780-1800 & military.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_2576.JPG IMG_2577.JPG I hope this helps.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx HSD, I don't really know what it is,wheather it could be American, British, French or Spanish..........I just think it's possibly 1780-1800 & military.

I don't see it being anywhere close to British, American, or French, so my guess would be Spanish. Spanish is better than my 2nd guess which would be reproduction British, but it seems a little more odd foreign to me than odd fake. (and a poor match for British, even a fake)

I'd run it by John Powell and see if he sends you in another direction.

Spanish Colonial Military Artifacts - History, Archaeology, Relics

Last edited:

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
something looks weird to me - neat though - good luck with your research....

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting button. My guess would be early Spanish. Maybe some surplus traded to the indians similar to the way Phoenix buttons were.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this exact same (basically) button today in a Civil War shop in a new Rev. War artifacts book. with the same "2" and same "4" (the rim was tad bit different) under "24th Regiment of foot" The picutres Brian C posted none of them are the ones I saw today. I will try and take a picture when I get back down there tomorrow since I didnt my camera with me and see if it matches up 100%

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this exact same (basically) button today in a Civil War shop in a new Rev. War artifacts book. with the same "2" and same "4" (the rim was tad bit different) under "24th Regiment of foot" The picutres Brian C posted none of them are the ones I saw today. I will try and take a picture when I get back down there tomorrow since I didnt my camera with me and see if it matches up 100%

Troiani's new book Rev War book has a 24th Regiment of Foot with a curly-que 2 similar to Dale's button, but the one in the book is pewter and has a different rim.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a strange one, the deeply recessed letters are odd for that period, well at least British. I would expect it in pewter, but Spanish does seem the best guess, I hope it gets IDed soon?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions