Dredging of the Sebastian River

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Didn't know exactly where to put this so everybody can check this out. According to Florida Fishing Weekly, December 29, 2006 issue. The Sebastian River is being dredged to suck up volumes of mud and muck that has built up on the bottoms over the years. That area saw a lot of riverboat traffic during the late 19th century and might be a good place for old bottles and such. Possible Indian artifacts could be sucked up as well. The enterprising TH'ers who contact the Dredging Operations and find out where the mud and muck is being dumped might find a treasure trove of finds.
Good luck to all and keep us posted if any finds are made.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it's going to be pumped 2 miles through a pipeline to a massive containment area on the south side of Micco road.I have an aunt that lives off of Micco road in Barefoot Bay.Here's a pic of the pond being dug at the contaiment area.

Attachments

• pond_construction.jpg
    pond_construction.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,638

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know exactly where that is myself, but, you are a saint. Cutting others in on the information is very generous. While some will no doubt already have that on their minds there are many others who probably do not realize this. GL getting anything out of there. HH

Laater...

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well, its the least I can do. I live 2 hours away and I'd rather hunt the beaches. And since the locals down there are waiting for the next big blow to cut the beaches. This will give them something to do. Who knows maybe the dredge will cut into a treasure chest of gold coins and spit them out. It happened once before when they dredged the Venice Pass many years ago. Hope something is found that can be posted on here.

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Has anything been found from this drdging yet? ??? Just courious since my last posting.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I posted this story last year. You can find it in search. I wasnt able to drive up, but it sounds like a chance of a lifetime. The Ais Indians used this river extensively.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor said:
Has anything been found from this drdging yet? ??? Just courious since my last posting.
Good question.I haven't been able to make it up there this last month.But hopefully,i'll be able to go up one weekend this month and check out the access to this pond.That picture I posted was found on the internet,so I don't know where the actual site is,only that it's on the south side Micco road a couple miles inland,which is very near where my aunt lives.When I go i'll post an update as to accessability to the site.What about you skalleewag?

PS-I must of missed that one BigC. :)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Threy dredged that river for at least 3 years. Did anybody find anything?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread