old chinese coin! help identify please.

Zerick

May 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today i was out hiking using my ace 250. Came across an old chinese dump. With pottery pieces everywhere. When i look down and see this coin. I got so excited! I was just wondering if anyone can help me identify it. From the quick research i did i think its "Kang Hsi T'ung Pao" but not too sure. The back is worn but looks to be blank. Id love any feedback. :)

ForumRunner_20130405_230347.png

Upvote 0

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found two Chinese coins. The first one I found was about as deep as I've ever found anything. It was a half of a coin but I was able to identify it. I honestly can't remember how old it is. I just know it was hundreds of years old. Like 5 hundred.
The second one is over 300 years old.
I did quite a bit of reading when I found the first coin some 15 years ago. All the coins looked exactly alike for hours to me.
There's was one symbol of the four on my coin that changed with each new Emporer. It was the bottom symbol. Of course I had to figure which was the bottom of the coin.
They don't date their coins like we do. 2011, 2012, 2013... The coin is exactly the same every year the Emporer is in power so you can't date them exactly but you'll know within a few years.
Study the symbols until they become familiar to you.
Identify your Chinese coins

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. I found one not that long ago. Mine dates between 1736-1795. Researching mine I never saw one with a blank back. So I'm guessing yours is just worn smooth on the back. But I'm no expert, it could be blank.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found a Kang Xi tong bao, money minted during the reign of Emporer Sheng Zu.....dates from 1662 - 1722. I would have to see a better picture of both the front and back side. The back side, with only two characters, gives you the mintmark. If there are no marks, then someone played with the coin. Without the mintmark, not much hope of getting a closer dating of the coin. My email: [email protected] If you desire, send me a nice close up of both front and back and I will see if I can do a better job of i.d.ing it. Nice find. Which country are you in? Close to what town/city? I am located in South Korea, and in about every 10 old coins I find, I find a Chinese coin. And, about 1 out of every 50 coins is an old Japanese coin. (I find dozens of Japanese coins, but most are from the time of the Japanese annexation/occupation of Korea, from 1910 - 1945. So, most are not rare, most pretty common.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread