Found a beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt on Thurs that is absolutely STUNNING!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE! Beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt that is STUNNING! 2 more plates added

Revisited the Revolutionary War site where I found many French Regimental buttons last year and my super rare silver 76th Officers Bristish regimental button which won me best relic of 2012 on the CS Sentinel website. I had previously found 2 pits at this site and have now located a third. I have only just begun to dig this one out. It too appears to be roughly 5 ft by 5 ft. The best thing to come our of it Thurs morning was this brass plate featuring a fox with his paw raised as if saluting. This is etched by hand making this truly a work of art. It has the most beautiful emerald green patina that all relic hunters love to see! Everything I have found at this site has dated to 1781. Its dimensions are 2 inches by 2 inches with 5 prongs on the back suggesting it was attached to leather. I found another somewhat similar piece back about 10 yrs ago featuring a fox also but it was nowhere near the fine detail as this one. I feel, and have been told by one other well known relic hunter, that this may be a British Cross belt plate although I have not had direct confirimation from Don Troini or George Juno. There was a British naval officer in the Revolutionary War who served at Yorktown known as The Fox. I am researching this connection and looking for anyone else who may have dug a similar peice or may have suggestions as to what this is. Hopefully this pit will render some more French Regimental buttons or another coveted British officers button. Devonrex

Attachments

• DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCF0060.JPG
    DSCF0060.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Upvote 46

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's something you don't see found everyday. Awesome find my man and congrats on the banner; you earned it!

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice historic piece!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Just really really cool! I will vote banner!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG that is so beautiful. I would almost cry with joy at finding something that beautiful.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to have to keep us updated and would love to see some dig pics of the pit. Nothing like a hand engraved piece and especially if you can date it.
Congratulations.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Revisited the Revolutionary War site where I found many French Regimental buttons last year and my super rare silver 76th Officers Bristish regimental button which won me best relic of 2012 on the CS Sentinel website. I had previously found 2 pits at this site and have now located a third. I have only just begun to dig this one out. It too appears to be roughly 5 ft by 5 ft. The best thing to come our of it Thurs morning was this brass plate featuring a fox with his paw raised as if saluting. This is etched by hand making this truly a work of art. It has the most beautiful emerald green patina that all relic hunters love to see! Everything I have found at this site has dated to 1781. Its dimensions are 2 inches by 2 inches with 5 prongs on the back suggesting it was attached to leather. I found another somewhat similar piece back about 10 yrs ago featuring a fox also but it was nowhere near the fine detail as this one. I feel, and have been told by one other well known relic hunter, that this may be a British Cross belt plate although I have not had direct confirimation from Don Troini or George Juno. There was a British naval officer in the Revolutionary War who served at Yorktown known as The Fox. I am researching this connection and looking for anyone else who may have dug a similar peice or may have suggestions as to what this is. Hopefully this pit will render some more French Regimental buttons or another coveted British officers button. Devonrex
Very nice find :icon_thumright: do you not think it looks more like a Wolf.

SS

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great design on the mount, it'll look awesome in a display.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Recovery ! That's the kind of stuff I like to find :hello2: Congrats. another vote here.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find :icon_thumright: do you not think it looks more like a Wolf.

SS
Silver Searcher, It may very well be a wolf ............ as that thought crossed my mind to late last night as I looked at it a little closer. It has features of both. The few people I showed it to said it looked like a fox but I am beginning to wonder also. What I do know is it is awfully close to the Hessian design that was utilized in the Rev War except that the animal on their coat of arms was a lion. Below is a picture of one of 2 specimens that have been found at Yorktown. The Hessians fought on the British side and their artifacts are exceptionally rare. But as you can see the design, animal raised with arms in the same position, mouth open, tail up...........is all the same. This plate definitely was meant to represent someone (or unit) characterizing strentgth, agility, and prowess. Alll necessary in battle. Devonrex

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thankyou everyone for all the nice comments and banner votes! I must say this little relic is one of the best things I have ever dug and I think represents the history of my area in some way.

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Amazing find! Congrats... If I could give it a Banner vote from my iPad I certainly would!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very lovely cross-belt piece! Deserves banner for sure it is simply stunning! INcoming vote!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man if that doesn't make banner I will eat my metal detector. What an amazing recovery, but shucks I now have to re-think my bucket list. I wont one of those.
INCOMING BNNER VOTE:headbang:
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread