1st Silver of 2013 and 1sts for me period!

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
207.JPG 208.JPG 209.JPG 210.JPG 211.JPG 212.JPG 214.JPG 215.JPG 216.JPG 217.JPG 218.JPG

Since I got my E-Trac I've only been able to get out about six times;all to the same park. The first three trips revealed some clad and the bottom of a three merry widows tin(that gave me some hope that some older coins were still there). Than I decided to do some research and found a secluded area of the park that had some potential;it paid off. The fourth trip I scored one keeper, a plain 1929 Mercury dime;my first silver of 2013 and my first merc ever! I was sweeping along in a trashy area listening for high tones when I got a perfect 12-45 and figured I had a coke can/top or maybe a clad dime as it was a shallow target. With my pointer i brushed over some leaves and a thin layer of dirt and there it was. It was caked in dirt and at first I thought I might have found some play money as it seemed unusually small but i gave it a small rub and could barely make out the back and knew immediately what I had. I couldn't wait to get home and clean it under water to confirm it was a merc just to be sure and to see the date. The next trip I got a 46 wheat at about five inches a few feet from where I found the merc. Also right on the surface I eyed a nice little clay marble nearby. This past friday was by far my most successful and interesting hunt ever. I found seven wheats all within a five foot radius, 1 1948 nickle, a 1903 indian head (my favorite), a 'Velvet Grip' garter strap(probably from the 1920's-1940's), and cool bronze/brass? ring with a red stone. The indian head was found in the same hole as a zinc penny interestingly enough. When I pulled it out I could barely make out the feathers and the wreath on the back. I thought it was toast and hoped to just get a date off it so I was esctatic when it cleaned up as nice as it did. Also my first indian ever and definately my favorite find! I was hoping to score my first 1800's coin with it (missed it by 3 years) but I'm still more than happy (it's still 110 years old!) to have found it. My last find was the ring which I'm very interested in taking to a jeweler to find out exactly what I have. It rang up like a nickle 12-15, so I'm not sure what kind of metal it is but it looks like brass or copper but than wouldn't it have rung up higher? I also have no idea what kind of stone is in it. Well thats my rant on the last few hunts I've had. Now all I can think about is getting back out there and finding some more! I'm still waiting for that first barber! Thanks for looking and HH! :headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 6

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin and great ring
congrats.gif

Six2woody

Greenie
May 12, 2012
iowa
Detector(s) used
whites..... MXT PRO V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holly cow..... way to go my friend ...... I found a nice moderen ring today 925 .... lost it today....... the wife just loved it and will not give it back... Going to have sneek a picture of it

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice finds there! I really like the ring even if it isn't gold.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
holly cow..... way to go my friend ...... I found a nice moderen ring today 925 .... lost it today....... the wife just loved it and will not give it back... Going to have sneek a picture of it

Thanks, yea you'll definately have to post a pic of that ring! Ive only found one silver ring so far and i think it's plated lol.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the ring broken? For some reason rings that are broken ring up all over the place. If it is broken and you can hold the break together and air test it again you should get a better signal.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some nice finds there! I really like the ring even if it isn't gold.

Thank you, I sent a jeweler a few pics and he told me it looks like costume jewelry. Regardless I still like it and it's definately old. Who knows maybe I'll actually take it in and get a hands on appraisal.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the ring broken? For some reason rings that are broken ring up all over the place. If it is broken and you can hold the break together and air test it again you should get a better signal.

No it's fully intact but the frame is bent. I guess that could have an effect?

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I sent a jeweler a few pics and he told me it looks like costume jewelry. Regardless I still like it and it's definately old. Who knows maybe I'll actually take it in and get a hands on appraisal.

Haha, anyone can tell its costume jewelry.... That jeweler is not very bright, is he? I'd get a 2nd opinion and find out if the stone is real.... If its a real stone it could have some value.
Keep @ it and HH !!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old cigar ring i call them prolly was gold plated copper i find about a dozen of them each year hunting old sites...dont stop hunting that site even if your skunked afew times because theres plenty more there

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like an old cigar ring i call them prolly was gold plated copper i find about a dozen of them each year hunting old sites...dont stop hunting that site even if your skunked afew times because theres plenty more there

I try to get back out there as often as work and my wife will let me which is once every few weeks if I'm lucky. It sucks being in this sport when your young with small kids at home, you don't get to go out nearly as often as you'd like. Since you've found ones like it before, is there any more info you can give on that ring? I thought it might be an old class ring or something along those lines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread