What are your most common finds?

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know what other members typically find on their outings. I am relatively new to detecting. I am guessing location plays the biggest role regarding what we find, and what we search for while detecting? I have yet to detect a beach, but I plan on trying that soon! What do people typically find on beaches (and other general areas)? What drives you to MD season after season? The thrill of your finds? The exercise? The look of awe on someone's face after you tell them you found a relic in the dirt? I love it!
:headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beaches (freshwater): Those alum. discs they put on top of plastic bottles. (I hate them more than can slaw and pull tabs.) Foil. Lot of clad. One gold and two silver rings.

Tot Lots--Lots of clad. Zipper pulls. Lots of costume jewelry. Foil and pull tabs. (Though once I've gone over a lot a couple of times, I don't come up with as many of these. 'cause I've already cleaned it out.) Occasional foreign coins. Plus Gold and Silver rings.

Parks: Can slaw, pull tabs, and beer bottle caps. It's strange finding all those beer bottle caps since all the parks I hunt have a no alcohol policy. Really a wide variety of stuff ranging from chain (not the jewelry kind), a kid's cache (in an easter egg), costume jewelry, my only two IH's, padlocks, keys, of course clad...and gold and silver jewelry.

Oh and in all three I've found toy cars. Those are one thing I really enjoy finding.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-woods= shotgun brass-22 bullets& their cases 2-park's="can slaw" twist off beer caps pull tabs 50/50 old-new style's coins 3-home sites 20yrs or older=pipe,copper/ brass ,gutter piece's [small] hot wheels,other junk & coins p.s. please get the zinc cent out [for us all in the future]

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going fast (time restraints) Clad quarters & Dimes. Going slow-cents,tabs,slaw,clad,caps pieces of brass & copper.

30yrs-Coming back--I enjoy the hunt-I like finding old coins and any other relic, jewelry or interesting find.

OP
OP
L0STANDF0UND

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pieces of gutter and roofing nails I can guarantee would be around the perimeter of a house (seeing as how I was a roofer at one time). We had a big magnet on rollers that I would have to wheel around to pick up the nails and scrap that fell from the top, but it's impossible to get them all. On a house that is 100 years old it should have had a new roof put on it at least twice= twice the scrap and roof nails. Typically 3 nails are sunk into each shingle, that should give you a good idea of how many are used on a roof lol

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Can slaw... rusty nails... Sometimes bits of slag and melted junk and rust. That's probably 9/10 of my digs, even on a good day. It's a rough hobby but I keep at it. :tongue3:

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know about all these other chumps on here, but I usually only find gold bars, Seated Liberty dollars, Depression-era coin caches, platinum and diamond rings, and 1913 V nickels, and that's on a slow day. My Ace 250 is an instrument of God.

[bottle caps, can slaw, pennies]

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Square nails in Civil War camps that have been hunted hard. In hot soil, the relics will read like square nails with a solid target hit. CW Soldiers often burned wooden supply boxes bulit with square nails for firewood. HH, Quindy.

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Well, I don't know about all these other chumps on here, but I usually only find gold bars, Seated Liberty dollars, Depression-era coin caches, platinum and diamond rings, and 1913 V nickels, and that's on a slow day. My Ace 250 is an instrument of God.

[bottle caps, can slaw, pennies]

Ha ha...
Oh, I assumed he meant common finds BESIDES the gold, diamonds, etc. I just throw that junk away!

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull up a ton of tabs and fishing weights at the beach, that being said I also found 2 wedding bands yesterday (GOLD) and a white gold earring! First gold three times in a night!

When I'm in the ghost towns and older areas, I find hammered coins, bullets mainly, lots of other cool bits and bobs though.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I rarely get out to the places I would like so just to stay sane I hit the low hang fruit which is close to work...the city parks. The most common find is pulltabs and bottle caps...I clear them out to get to the good stuff. Then comes the clad. As far as keepers go I would say wheaties then mercury dimes. After that there does not seem to be a pattern where I'm hunting. I've found tokens, barbers, seated, Spanish silver, jewelry, buttons, etc.

When I do get out in the woods the most common finds are musket balls.

Good luck
NJ

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of square nails lately. I've been filling a pretzel keg with them.

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Nails" is what I get most. I tend to go to old locations. The older the area the better, Ive been scoring Indian heads where I'm at now. Also lots of old trash like lantern parts etc, pre-40's the newest. Cans,bottle caps and tons of old nails. I stay away from any busy park. Targets of interest to me are anything older then 100 years, or Gold and Silver items. Coins have to be older then 100 years or something special. My ratio to finding a "good" keeper is one keeper per 4-6 hours of detecting on average. I remove everything I dig up from the site as neat as possible. I never bump into someone else detecting since I do not go to the normal places. My favorite coin to find is the Indian head cent, because it comes up like a zinc cent hitting a high and mid-low tone on the AT-pro VDI ( 63-74 ). Easy to swing over if you don't know the sound. I'm up to 20 so far. Not a big number compared to many on this forum but I only started detecting 3-30-13. oldest coin 1729-1739 young head G II.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread