What are your most common finds?

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know what other members typically find on their outings. I am relatively new to detecting. I am guessing location plays the biggest role regarding what we find, and what we search for while detecting? I have yet to detect a beach, but I plan on trying that soon! What do people typically find on beaches (and other general areas)? What drives you to MD season after season? The thrill of your finds? The exercise? The look of awe on someone's face after you tell them you found a relic in the dirt? I love it!
:headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go where others have been grasshopper
Look at paths to the restrooms
basketball areas
look where the outfielders take off their gloves when walking from outfield to dugouts
look under bleachers or move them if you can..Move picnic tables and ck
If I find pennies I leave them but it lets me know this is where people hang
I always take the wheaties but leave all the zincs.. I only take dimes ,quarters and up and all the jewerly
Good luck and happy digging and don't leave a mess

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
About a half hour north of you,when not digging tabs and bottle caps and assorted junk the majority of coin for me are cents. Many like Mortamus finds were left by others. Oldest date,trying to beat it keeps me digging. Add the prospect of silver,gold and diamonds as well as other goodies,knowing they are out there its hard to leave detector sit. An occasional foray cache hunting keeps it interesting along with the challenge of recovering a specific lost item.

sizematters

Jan 10, 2013
Ostmark
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok

crap=pull tabs and bottle caps...at pro detects bottle caps but if full of dirt than comes up as coins

good stuff=1 shilling coins(13= 1 euro) although found the rarest one that is worth some money, then getting better at finding euro..averaging 5 euro for each three hour trip..

hitting mainly forest/open parks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 hole buttons
Musket Balls

OP
OP
L0STANDF0UND

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info there, thanks guys :lightbulb: Nope, no messes from this one. I have been reading about the negatives that follow leaving a mess after digging. I'm not going to be the a-hole who ruins it for all the other md'ers out there. That would be defeating the purpose of my new hobby! My best find yet has been a 1906 (BARBER DIME). I actually picked it up out of a creek bed where I spotted it while searching for bottles, no metal detector involved. Also found a promotional give-away clay pipe given to buyers of diamond matches in 1910. It is a reed stem pipe (the kind that you stick a hollow reed into its' end as a stem).

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My best find yet has been a 1906 Merc. I actually picked it up out of a creek bed where I spotted it while searching for bottles, no metal detector involved. Also found a promotional give-away clay pipe given to buyers of diamond matches in 1910. It is a reed stem pipe (the kind that you stick a hollow reed into its' end as a stem).

I'd love to see a 1906 mercury dime since they started making mercury dimes in 1916.

OP
OP
L0STANDF0UND

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL my apologies, ***barber dime. Not that I am a coin guru or anything.. :unhappysmiley: ..Where I had lived in Ohio (Otway, population of 86) The town had burned twice. Once in 1910, and again in the 40's. Both times the town burned they pushed all of the ashes and rubble into the Scioto Brush Creek (West Fork). I was always finding awesome stuff in there!! In terms of being searched, it hasn't been scathed. I honestly believe I am the only person who has hunted that section of the river. All kinds of neat stuff (Where I found the dime and pipe) The small village of Otway at one time was the largest supplier of rail-road ties in the United States.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most common finds:
1.Aluminum cans or can parts(Screw-caps(must dig these for Indian Head pennies)Pull Tabs,Tab parts,Can parts, shredded can parts)
2.Iron can be anything. but bolts washers and nuts are common false esp when well rusted. I have found bolts with Nuts and washers loaded up on them before. Those sound really good.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most common finds for me (usually around old home sites) are probably old bits & pieces of rusted iron and spoons.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pop tabs. The lake I regularly detect during the summer has some joker who for the last two summers has dumped them in by the hundreds all summer long. Every once in a while you might get a ring or a piece of jewelry instead of a tab, but tabs are the main find.

OP
OP
L0STANDF0UND

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan: Wow, you have to be kidding me. Does he dump the tabs there to ward of people with detectors? The real piece of trash is him if you ask me...

H

Holly_squirrel

Nails and bolts and beer cans. I haunt old farm houses. Biggest bummer is a solid hit that looks n sounds like something significant... Ends up being a crushed can.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan: Wow, you have to be kidding me. Does he dump the tabs there to ward of people with detectors? The real piece of trash is him if you ask me...

I suspect that it is someone trying to discourage us from hunting, hard to say it would be another detectorist, since it would be horrible hunting for them as well.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nails, screws, can slaw, pennies.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to dig a little yesterday and every hole I dug yieled a coin with the exception of two. The other two were different, good pings so one had an arrow tip, verified it as such today and the second hole gave, up a black stone which is virtually weightless and as shinny as coal. No idea what it is but I'll figure it out. So all in all I dug one wheat, one silver quarter and a dime along with about twelve other pennies most fifty years old.

And why do I dig? Hell it's Christmas morning and I don't know what is wrapped in the hole until I find it.

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi LAF......you may have already seen this.....but a picture is worth a thousand words:

002.JPG
Found Apr 13, 2013: 3 Kennedy Clad Halfs, 67 clad quarters, 61 clad dimes, and 45 memorial pennies......Total 176 coins, total value $24.80.

These were all found at a SW Georgia School football field, using my Whites Coinmaster Pro. I do not use a pin pointer.

Note: This is my 2nd time at this spot....last Sunday I also found a lot of clad, and a 1913-D Barber Quarter near the goal line....and YES, I am going back there tomorrow......:hello2:

HH.....Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread