Best Silver Finds from the Field of Dreams for 2013, so far...

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems lately that this 2,300 acre colonial site has been very kind to me. I've made about 8 trips there so far this year, and 7 of those 8 trips have produced at least 1 good coin(the 1 time I got skunked I was there for 30 minutes before the rain drove me out). Out of my 14 silver coins from the site for the year, here are my 6 favorites:

- Cut Pine Tree Shilling
- 3-Cent Silver Trime
- 1786 Spanish 2 Real
- 178* Spanish Half Real
- 1882 Canadian Dime
- 1838 Seated Dime

Silver Coins that didn't make the cut:

1 Barber Quarter
1 Washington Quarter
3 Barber Dimes
3 Mercury Dimes

Attachments

• best1.jpg
    best1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 233
  • best2.jpg
    best2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 7

mizzoufan96

Apr 14, 2013
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Cool coins.

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's some sweet silver!!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Superb finds Oxbow..I'm dreaming to find a field like that! Did you find anything other than coins out there?

There is a ton of cool colonial stuff in those fields. I have found hundreds of buttons, lots of buckles, horse tack, musket balls, arrowheads, even 2 human teeth. The Rattlesnake Button from my avatar was found there. I must have 60 pounds of metal in the back of my car to sort through, all from the same site over the last 2 weeks.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell ya what buddy you're sure finding some very nice things from that place and I believe you'll find many more great finds.keep up the great work.you're doing awesome.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great silvers, especially the cut pine tree shilling. Looks like a long span of occupation on that site. When you get a chance, I would like to see some of the coppers, buttons, and other relics your digging there (especially the colonial stuff).

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds. that pine tree trumps them all

Decdad

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Which of your MD do You take out there. Oh...how I dream of the day.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great silver there!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank's everybody! A few people hunt this site, and everybody finds cool stuff.

Steve, I will happily do a post to highlight some of my colonial finds. Most of the coppers come out of the ground really toasted due to the fertilizer, but sometimes they come out looking fantastic. I will try to create a index of the neatest colonial period items, but it's going to take some time. I'll make a highlights post this week or weekend for you though.

Decdad, I use my XP Deus at this site. I used the AT Pro my first two trips and found my first William III with it after 50 ft on my initial pass. I teach an archeology class to middle and high school students, and the students have found some pretty neat stuff with the Ace 150's the school purchased for them. It's fun, we record all of our old finds, research their age and utility, and the kids get to take home a piece of history.

Bookfisher, I've spent at least 200 hours at this site and maybe covered 5% of it. They till it multiple times a year, and flood waters move items around annually.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank's everybody! A few people hunt this site, and everybody finds cool stuff.

Steve, I will happily do a post to highlight some of my colonial finds. Most of the coppers come out of the ground really toasted due to the fertilizer, but sometimes they come out looking fantastic. I will try to create a index of the neatest colonial period items, but it's going to take some time. I'll make a highlights post this week or weekend for you though.

Decdad, I use my XP Deus at this site. I used the AT Pro my first two trips and found my first William III with it after 50 ft on my initial pass. I teach an archeology class to middle and high school students, and the students have found some pretty neat stuff with the Ace 150's the school purchased for them. It's fun, we record all of our old finds, research their age and utility, and the kids get to take home a piece of history.

Bookfisher, I've spent at least 200 hours at this site and maybe covered 5% of it. They till it multiple times a year, and flood waters move items around annually.

That is really cool that you are teaching an archaeology class using metal detectors. Wish they had a class like that when I was in high school. But the metal detectors would have been a little Archaeic back then - :laughing7:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That certainly is a Field of Dreams! You have made some mouth watering finds there! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread