1788 CT copper and a solid silver flower design button

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to a site that in 2011 produced two NJ coppers and a decent KGIII Halfpenny. I have pounded this site quite a bit so I was pleasantly surprised to squeeze out a few more relics and one more State Copper. The CT is sort of good news bads news, although the bad is not really bad. The coin had a lot of detail left, kind of surprised when you compare it with the before cleaning photo, the not so good news is , almost all 1788 CT coppers are Scarce to very rare varieties, except the one I found today. But, I will take condition or rarity in this case.... :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomenal restoration! Congrats from a midwesterner on some outstanding treasures! Does the button have any detail on its reverse? Just curious if you think the button was made from silver coinage?

Nothing special about the back of the button, only question would be if it was part of a set of cufflinks (very likely) or a button. I did search the immediate area thoroughly in hopes its twin was there but nothing but a big ole square nail left in the hole.

Attachments

• button back.jpg
    button back.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 67

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful button and awesome CT Copper. Any CT Copper is rare to me since I haven't found any yet...and I live in CT!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful coin Don. I'm still amazed at how those coppers come out of the NJ soil. And I'm even more impressed with your cleaning expertise. I've just never had much luck using your warm peroxide method. And that's an awesome button too!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic looking Connecticut copper Don! You are so lucky to have nice soil for the most part where you dig. I am certain that button is a cufflink, circa 1750 -1770 or so. It is a real beauty too!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Beautiful CT, Don! Nice cufflink too! :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until I saw the reverse, I thought the button was a Tombac. I'm more convinced now, but as you know these are so rare you need a second look. Our silver button collection, doesn't even run into the 1 in every 3 years. (bearing in mind that's over 6000 buttons dug)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread