Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this post should probably go in the best finds forum, but I was hoping the moderator would let this get a little more visibility here at least for a bit. My current relic hunting season is pretty much a done deal due to planting, but I still may be able to get in a couple of short hunts at 2 of my pounded sites if conditions permit. In the meantime, thought I'd drag out all my finds made since last fall and put them in one group shot in addition to a couple of close-ups. Please click on the pics to enlarge for viewing. I didn't realize how much it was until I put it all together. As is my usual practice, I like to keep my finds separated by site in labeled boxes which provides further documentation in addition to my posts which I print out in color and put in protective document holders in a 3-ring binder. After having an outstanding season last year I thought it would be very difficult to even approach that level this year, but somehow I was able to pull it off thanks to several very productive sites. I also want to take this opportunity to thank my primary hunting buddy and good friend Dan as his stellar research and door knocking skills helped us get into a couple of killer sites this year. He's a fun guy to hunt with, and our friendly competition always helps to push each other that much harder in our quest for relics. I also want to recognize my friends Stan and Joey for their generous invites and the good times we had. Overall I ended up with 24 colonial silver coins bringing my total over the last 15+ years to 149. If I could just squeeze out one more I could achieve 2 awesome milestones at the same time, but it doesn't look like that will happen this season. I also dug a nice handful of non-colonial silver this year as well. Other highlights included 5 early 1700s bottle seals, a 9" clay pipe and bowl from the same period, a gorgeous mid-to-late 1600s reconstructed delftware plate, some rare and unusual coins and tokens, several complete colonial buckles, not to mention hundreds of buttons and other early artifacts. I also did an extraordinary amount of pit digging this season which was a load of fun as well as quite productive. Very soon I'll be starting work on a few magazine articles (including some for W&E Treasures) summarizing my season in addition to a couple of tutorials on colonial wine bottle seals and clay pipes. I also want to thank all the posters on this forum for their support, and I think I've made quite a few new web friends as a result. Thanks again for looking, and HH to all ..... Bill

Attachments

• 2012-13 finds1.JPG
    2012-13 finds1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 393
  • 2012-13 finds2.JPG
    2012-13 finds2.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 2012-13 finds3.JPG
    2012-13 finds3.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 2012-13 finds4.JPG
    2012-13 finds4.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 317
  • 2012-13 finds5.JPG
    2012-13 finds5.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 2012-13 finds8.JPG
    2012-13 finds8.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 2012-13 finds7.JPG
    2012-13 finds7.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 317
  • 2012-13 finds6.JPG
    2012-13 finds6.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Upvote 9

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is stunning! You could open your own museum.

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive to say the least! It amazes me all the things dropped over the years.
Thanks for posting,
Bunker

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just one word Bill: Incredible! :icon_thumright: I'm hoping you can spare a few minutes too to help with the ID of my open-work cast "buckle" :laughing7:

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bill you've been busy.That's awesome. Congrats

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Great finds:icon_thumright:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing Bill :notworthy:

Your reconstruction of the star pattern dish has got to be the shining "star" in this years recoveries.

I see a relic storage problem in your immediate future. Not that there's anything wrong with that :laughing7:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
:censored::icon_thumright::goldtrophy: is about all I can say to that awesome pile of finds.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful collection of finds. Also a great collection of memories!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely fantastic finds there Bill, your clay pipes really speek to the age of your sites. If you ever find the missing pieces to your dish I would love to see it.:icon_thumleft:
You may want to consider one of these;
ZDD

Attachments

• printers storage cabinet.jpg
    printers storage cabinet.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 112
  • storage cabinet drawers.jpg
    storage cabinet drawers.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 113

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Another banner year Bill. Amazing quantity and quality. That plate is a stunner, time to return to that pit and find the rest.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing collection and a lot to take in! You're going to need a lot of display cases! Thanks again for the articles, I'm sure they'll help my hunt!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very impressive Bill!! It was a pleasure hunting with you this year and hopefully we can do it again next year. Maybe we can meet up at the beach or go hunting for bottles this summer.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely fantastic finds there Bill, your clay pipes really speek to the age of your sites. If you ever find the missing pieces to your dish I would love to see it.:icon_thumleft:
You may want to consider one of these;
ZDD

That's a beautiful piece Dave. Always wanted one of those.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and I thought those finds were impressive when I saw them a little bit at time! :notworthy:

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible. One season's finds for you, a lifetime's for most of us. Best of luck in your next season.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply amazing Bill :notworthy:

Your reconstruction of the star pattern dish has got to be the shining "star" in this years recoveries.

I see a relic storage problem in your immediate future. Not that there's anything wrong with that :laughing7:

I agree Steve that the early plate is the find I'm most proud of out of all the recoveries I made this year. Unfortunately, even though we had solid permission from the owner of that site, the farmer got upset when he saw us digging in his field back in mid-winter and kicked us out. We're working to fix that situation (and I believe we will), and hope to get back in there again next fall. We have probably only sifted about 1/3 of that early pit and I know many more awesome finds will come from there. By the way, this trash pit is only about 200 feet from where the hammered silver caches were found 5 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions