Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out for a bit this morning. Was at a county park for about 5 minutes and got my first signal. Remember how you felt when you saw your first silver peeking out of the hole? I was ecstatic. Pulled this 1960 rosie out. Spent about 3 more hours trying to find more. Dug some clad, the usual trash (bottle caps, pull tabs, can slaw, modern spent cartridges). I was getting hungry and tired so decided I had enough for a day and headed back to the blazer. I got one more signal and when I pulled the chunk of lead out with the help of my pointer, I remember saying "OMG". Because of the wealth of info I have read on this site, I knew what I had. If not for TNet, I would have dismissed it as more trash! I have no caliper so haven't measured the bullet yet but it weighs between 29 and 30 grams. Is a real chunk. Can anyone date it for me? I love it! First silver AND first 3 ringer!

Upvote 9

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds Old Dude!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver Rosie and 3 ringer. I'm not sure which you should be more excited about!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You got the fever now:laughing7: Really need a measurement on the bullet,it's an oldie,Nice. GodBless Chris

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You got the fever now:laughing7: Really need a measurement on the bullet,it's an oldie,Nice. GodBless Chris

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Those are 2 great finds!

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Those kind of finds makes it all worthwhile!!

Roy

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer finds, cant wait to hear what type of 3 ringer u got there

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old dude, I'm probably not the one to ask but I'll betcha there are some people here that will help you identify your bullet if you can just get a measurement on it.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on you're first silver and tge lead buddy.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At Old Dude's request, I'm coming over from my home turf in the What-Is-it forum to ID his bullet in Today's Finds.

It is too beat-up for me to ID it with extreme specificity. However, its general shape, its apparent NE Pennsylvania dig-location, and its precisely-measured weight (between 29 and 30 grams, which is 447-to-463 grains) tell me it is a .58-caliber "generic" US 3-groove Minie-ball. Statistically speaking, it is most probably from civil war era training of recruits/draftees, for the following three reasons:
1- This specific form of Minie-ball was developed and produced by the US Ordnance Department in the latter-1850s, during which time it was not in the possession of civilian game-hunters.
2- There was no civil war combat action in northeastern PA. But that state recruited (or drafted) hundreds of thousands of troops, who received at least some basic training in the state before being sent South.
3- Although in the years after the civil war's end, some quantities of war-surplus .58 muzzleloading rifles were sold to civilians, the quick development and public availability of breechloading, metal-cartridge-firing rifles caused the muzzleloaders (and their Minie-balls) to rapidly fall out of favor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much! CoilyGirl and Bigcypresshunter both said you'd be the one to help. I hope to have more for you.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The good news:
Where you find one civil war bullet, there's almost always more in the nearby vicinity. :)

The bad news:
If it's a fired bullet, the others may be kinda "spread out" from it ...meaning could be 100 yards from where you found the first one.

Your bullet is so beat-up I can't be 100% certain whether it is a fired one, or unfired. I think I see enough of a "dent" on its nose (and another on one side) to indicate it is a fired one ...but in the past 39 years I've also seen some definitely-unfired ones that some soldier beat up pretty badly -- perhaps because he was irritated with being a draftee. So I'm not quite certain about whether yours is a fired one, or not. Hunt the area hard. Good luck to you.

Wish I still had my very first civil war bullet. I metal-detected it in March 1974. But I got divorced shortly afterward, and lost that Minie-ball somehow. Keep yours in a secure place. You'll never find another FIRST one.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet first finds outings! Metal detecting moments that will last on in your memory.:occasion14:

nitnelyons

Mar 10, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
On my 3rd Tesoro Vaquero. Sold the first two because I fell for all the "Hype" on the XP Deus, and Equinox. Will not sell/trade this one.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds old dude. I think I held, and stared at the 2 ringer I found in central, Pa longer than anything I dug up. May have been shot by a civilian, idk, but the age of it excites me.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At Old Dude's request, I'm coming over from my home turf in the What-Is-it forum to ID his bullet in Today's Finds.

It is too beat-up for me to ID it with extreme specificity. However, its general shape, it apparent NE Pennsylvania dig-location, and its precisely-measured weight (between 29 and 30 grams, which is 447-to-463 grains) tell me it is a .58-caliber "generic" US 3-groove Minie-ball. Statistically speaking, it is most probably from civil war era training of recruits/draftees, for the following three reasons:
1- This specific form of Minie-ball was developed and produced by the US Ordnance Department in the latter-1850s, during which time it was not in the possession of civilian game-hunters.
2- There was no civil war combat action in northeastern PA. But that state recruited (or drafted) hundreds of thousands of troops, who received at least some basic training in the state before being sent South.
3- Although in the years after the civil war's end, some quantities of war-surplus .58 muzzleloading rifles were sold to civilians, the quick development and public availability of breechloading, metal-cartridge-firing rifles caused the muzzleloaders (and their Minie-balls) to rapidly fall out of favor.
I am impressed! to say the least. Knowing the history of an old find really adds to the enjoyment.

Roy

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds old dude. I think I held, and stared at the 2 ringer I found in central, Pa longer than anything I dug up. May have been shot by a civilian, idk, but the age of it excites me.

I definitely understand that. It was hard for me to put this one down. Thanks to all who have said the nice things, to CoilyGirl and Bigcypresshunter for pointing me to The CannonballGuy, and to The CannonballGuy for sharing his obvious passion for the hobby and great knowledge of his field. Where else could someone as novice as myself be surrounded by so many helpful and interesting people? This is exactly why I had NO reservations about becoming a charter member. For the sake of preservation of the things we find, we have to keep sites like this alive.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, i remember my first silver and the feeling. i got a mercury dime. honestly, when i first saw it, i kind of froze - didn't know what i had and why it was so shiny. then it dawned on me and my adrenaline shot through the roof. and, like you, i went into overdrive for more. a very hearty congrats to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread