1 1700s coin and 2 1800s coins at Colonial House

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Fantastic day of detecting, found a new (old) town on the river during my travels to a new region of the country. Was told it was a major port in Colonial times. Found this home under construction and the contractor gave me the ok to detect. Was fired up...the first good dig was a beat up little penny sized coin I thought was a 2 cent piece because I saw a shield on the back. Later looking at it with loop it is Capped Bust dime, my first ever Capped coin...can see the 10C and 182? on one side (but only with loop)...Can see eagle/shield in this image. Next good dig was a Colonial Copper, probably a King George, but hard to tell. This town is filled with homes and lots like this. The contractor very cool, said he had other properties I could check out. I had to head to the airport and seriously thought about changing my plans, but family was waiting...still...almost did it. I got the contractors number and will be back in the next couple months. I could move to this town...Final good find was 1849 Large Cent, right in the front yard near the big piece of equipment in the photo...a great day of detecting (about one hour and 45 min, actually).

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 6

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great spot and some nice finds too!

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You took the initiative and it paid off--we'll done!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You took the initiative and it paid off--we'll done!

man thats awesome!, i thought about asking a contractor to detect the property he was working on, this may just motivate me enough to do it next time NICE WORK

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking coins.I'd hit it hard there before someone changes there mind.way to go

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wet that capped bust dime and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil (repeat as necessary), then put a little baking soda and water slurry on it....should clean up nicely. I wouldn't worry about cleaning it as it looks kinda toasted already--this will make it presentable. Be nice to see cleaned up. Nice finds....what part of the country is this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread