Half Cent? Any Ideas?

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found the middle coin today. Given the size - just a tad smaller than a quarter and just bigger than a nickel I thought it might be a half cent. I weighed it and its just under 7 grams. So that tracks with a half cent.

image-4015381824.jpg

I used water and then some apple cider vinegar to get the dirt off. You can see it is in rough shape. It's now soaking in olive oil. I'll let it go in that overnight.

Any other ideas of what it could be? I am pretty sure it's copper. Any help IDing it or with cleaning would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like iron to me. But if if it is copper I don't really understand cleaning it so harsh, and than using olive oil. There's not really any logic to that.

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just trying to get the mud off to see if I could see anything on the face with water and ACV. I didn't seem rusty when I cleaned it - not flaky and no rust color came off. I am hoping the olive oil will help get some of the face readable.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a knock out for a elect box

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure does look like iron, did you try a magnet?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a knock out for a elect box

I agree with nsdq. I've found knock outs before and they will make you scratch your head for a couple of minutes

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I totally forgot about testing it with magnet - and it stuck. The punch out makes the most sense. Thanks again.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive dug Liberty coins on piss poor soil that have come out looking like this! you just dont know til you clean it off. Good luck with it!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean it with a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide ! cant say enough. Put in disposable plastic bowl and then pour Hydrogen Peroxide on top until it is at least a half an inch above the object to be cleaned.

If you do use this method make sure you wipe clean the Olive Oil or it will not work as well.

you can read more here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/22115-cleaning-large-cents.html

The Peroxide method won't work at all if Olive Oil has been used.

OR, you could take it and soak it in ketchup, then pour mustard on it, then soak it in olive oil for three hours, rinse with apple cider vinegar, scrub with sandpaper, coat with shoe polish, using only distilled water, then buff the shoe polish away and coat it gently with a thin coat of vaseline, being careful to avoid scratching.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OR, you could take it and soak it in ketchup, then pour mustard on it, then soak it in olive oil for three hours, rinse with apple cider vinegar, scrub with sandpaper, coat with shoe polish, using only distilled water, then buff the shoe polish away and coat it gently with a thin coat of vaseline, being careful to avoid scratching.

this sounds like it should do the trick......should I use dijon and what grit sandpaper?

Scoob

Apr 7, 2013
NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, need some relish! (Firing up the grill)! Lets cook some dogs!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing7: Works every time. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread