Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't pass up this beautiful spring morning so I went to a spot in the woods that I pass everyday on the way home. I was able to secure permission a while back but have never made it out there so I figured I should go today before the brush and briars make it impossible. According to my research, there was a mill and two natural springs about a 1/4 mile from the road so I brought my mountain bike so I didn't have to walk through tick town to get there. It's a beautiful spot and I was able to find one of the springs bubbling from the side of a ravine.

There was very little trash except for shotgun brass so I made sure to dig every signal. I'm not used to digging in the woods and tree roots so I almost gave up but figured I'd keep at it and good thing I did because I was rewarded with a bunch of buttons and two coppers. One is a KG II and the other is smaller like a half cent but it is toast.

April212013002.jpg April212013003.jpg

April212013004.jpg April212013005.jpg

April212013006.jpg April212013008.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome digs!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like farthing size to me. Too small to be a halfpenny. Nice hunt. :thumbsup:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love that old KG, even if it is in rough shape! Great hunt.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Looks more like farthing size to me. Too small to be a halfpenny. Nice hunt. :thumbsup:

It's 22mm which is a half cent size....but we'll never know since its a goner.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done! You stuck with an uncertain and somewhat difficult spot and your determination paid off for you. Now that is detecting...............63bkpkr

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 22mm which is a half cent size....but we'll never know since its a goner.
Ok. Half cent. You said halfpenny so I was thinking English halfpenny instead of U.S. half cent:laughing7: It's still counts on your copper total. That's the important thing. :thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a nice pile of buttons and coins Joey. Glad you're still able to get out although you're brave to hit the woods this time of year. Hey - don't I see a tick crawling on that button in the upper left?? Nice hunt!

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. (VA) said:
That's a nice pile of buttons and coins Joey. Glad you're still able to get out although you're brave to hit the woods this time of year. Hey - don't I see a tick crawling on that button in the upper left?? Nice hunt!

It's a really neat spot Bill. There is an old road that leads to the spot. There are bricks where the road crosses through the mill creak. The owner has cleared the hill sides of the ravine of the brush and small trees and has left the really old trees. He is planning on rebuilding the mill dam and clearing the spot where I detected. I don't plan on going back to the wooded area but I may go back and detect the road during the summer.

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Do you know what the "screw with the hole on the top" in the last picture is? I recall finding something similar but had no idea what it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread