1652 Massachusetts Oak Tree Shilling! And other colonial goodies. My best hunt ever!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was by far by far my best detecting yet! I started detecting around 6am and right off the bat I scored 4 Indian cents in a row. Nice way to begin a marathon day of detecting. On my first return pass, I found a Draped Bust cent and a Connecticut Copper within 5 feet of each other. Another 100ft down the pass I spotted my first Indian Axe Head, which made my day! Soon after, Broken Knee arrived for a while. He made a few cool finds and decided to head to a different part of the site. I decided to stay and finish out the area I had been working. Boy am I glad did. My Deus gave me a real solid sweet sound and began to dig. I flipped the plug, grabbed some dirt and ran it over my coil. It was in my hand. I broke open the clump of dirt to see the beautiful color of old silver looking back at me, with the clear as day date of 1652! I couldn't believe it, my second Massachusetts Colonial Silver in less than a week from the same site! At first I thought it was a Pine Tree Shilling, but once I rinsed it with a little water, the Oak Tree emerged. This is by far my best coin I have ever found. I am still in shock. Does anyone know the variety?

Attachments

• ax1.jpg
    ax1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 714
  • ax2.jpg
    ax2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 719
  • ax3.jpg
    ax3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 703
  • ax4.jpg
    ax4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 732
  • ax5.jpg
    ax5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 723
  • oaktree7.jpg
    oaktree7.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 886
  • oaktree5.jpg
    oaktree5.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 774
  • oaktree2.jpg
    oaktree2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 777
  • oaktree1.jpg
    oaktree1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 796
  • coppers.jpg
    coppers.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 807
  • oaktree6.jpg
    oaktree6.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 975
Upvote 79

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is, INCREDIBLE I should have stayed! you got to be on cloud 9 now!! HH
Keith You got my BANNER VOTE!!!

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! How did you make it back to the car with soiled pants?? Outstanding find and I vote banner.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man you're on an incredible roll!! It doesn't get any better than a Mass silver and a grooved axe in a single hunt. Many congrats on your soon-to-be banner post.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a smashing day! :thumbsup: The N.A. ax head alone would have made my day. Congrats on all the keepers, especially the Oak Tree Shilling. :notworthy:

Banner!

HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer! What a week.

I'll ID in it about 15 minutes if n one else does before then.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American silver doesn't get any older than that! Beautiful find OBBF! My banner vote will be in as soon as I finish this reply. Congrats on the grooved axe too.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man this is killing me, I couldn't get out this weekend (pulling Grandpa duties) and to see Heavymetal's GW buttons come up and now this, Oxbowbarefoot you just blew me away. This is a true Noreaster weekend, I can't stop drooling, bloody fantastic. Congrats and Banner all the way.
ZDD

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man that is incredible... After the 5 GW buttons posted and now your amazing Oak Tree I don't think I can post my finds today! Hammer that site til your arms fall off! Big congrats! Gonna look great up top. Excellent condition too...Drooooooool...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah sure seems to be NOE-1. Rarity 3.

It says there's three coins total that share that obverse... NOE-2 which is definitely not a match, and the text from the link I posted says the 3rd is quite different, so that only leaves NOE-1.

PS: Did you purposely take the pic with the tree over your shoulder? :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBBF,
You've earned standing on a cloud! What an amazing Find!! :notworthy: I suspect you are really glad you stayed to finish working the site! And is the site actually clear? Great Success today and Continued Success offered to you in future hunts.........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah sure seems to be NOE-1. Rarity 3.

It says there's three coins total that share that obverse... NOE-2 which is definitely not a match, and the text from the link I posted says the 3rd is quite different, so that only leaves NOE-1.

PS: Did you purposely take the pic with the tree over your shoulder? :)

Iron Patch, Thanks again for the ID! I think this one I will send out to get slabbed :)
Broken Knee took the pic, so you'd have to ask him;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions