got out for a few hours today

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i hunted a house that my brother was doing a side job at this morning. the house isn't very old, built in the 50s, but due to a lack of a better spot we hit it anyway. i did manage a 56 silver roosie amongst the usual clad. at least the rain held off until we were both finished. my brother wound up with a pocket full of clad. every trip out is a learning experience with the new machine. i have yet to dig a nickel with it, and I'm kinda curious to see what one will look and sound like on this thing! well anyway, that was it for today. :)

Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I'm sure that it will be raining nickels in your area soon HP. I know that you put in the time & sooner or later it will pay off big for you.
Spotz

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Practice make's perfect Red!!!It won't take you anytime I'm sure...Congrat's on the silver and Best of Luck with the new machine!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And not even one weeee little picture of that purdy silver! :-\

:D

Congrats on your finds and hope ya find yer nickel! ;)

Nana :)

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a great day to me, A silver Rosy ain't bad at all!

As for not finding any nickels, If you are using the ACE 250, I suggest you use the Coin Mode. When you go across a nickel, the coin mode will lock on nickel. You will see two notches locked on nickel. Usually that is exactly what it is, unless of course it's a ring:)

Hope this helps. HH, Ringfinder

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nickels are strange coins indeed.
They sound "soft" on my detector. Solid but not "crisp".

Maybe you should bury some at different depths and tip a few on end for a test.

Ridley

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Glad to see you are out workin the minelab. Nickels are one of my very favorite parts to buying an Explorer,they are almost a no brainer. If you are hunting in smartscreen a nickel will fall at the bottom of the screen just about dead center,the bottom line on the pointer will just rest on the bottom of the screen,not below the screen,they dont move around much usually and if they do only to the right or left one curser. If your hunting in numbers they will read 10-5 or 10-6 sometimes 9-5 or 6. I usually hunt in smartscreen but when I think it may be a nickel and there are a ton of pulltabs I switch over to numbers real quick and have a look. Coins bounce around more as they get deeper but 4-5 inches usually get a nice reading with the numbers. There is a pretty good thread that just started up in gen. discussion,I posted a great link there last night you should really go checkout,HH...Shoot

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver! Those Minelabs are nice machines. HH, Mike

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
shootist said:
Glad to see you are out workin the minelab. Nickels are one of my very favorite parts to buying an Explorer,they are almost a no brainer. If you are hunting in smartscreen a nickel will fall at the bottom of the screen just about dead center,the bottom line on the pointer will just rest on the bottom of the screen,not below the screen,they dont move around much usually and if they do only to the right or left one curser. If your hunting in numbers they will read 10-5 or 10-6 sometimes 9-5 or 6. I usually hunt in smartscreen but when I think it may be a nickel and there are a ton of pulltabs I switch over to numbers real quick and have a look. Coins bounce around more as they get deeper but 4-5 inches usually get a nice reading with the numbers. There is a pretty good thread that just started up in gen. discussion,I posted a great link there last night you should really go checkout,HH...Shoot

thanks for the tip shootist!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread