New Colonial Sites Lead to my First GOLD coin!!!!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with The Patriot today to try some new spots in an area with some age and potential. Lots of pottery and broken glass showing up but for the most part finds were bits and bobs and scrap brass and lead. Then out popped this, an 1800 1/3 Guinea gold coin! I was honestly in shock, I NEVER expected I'd find a gold coin, and a 213 year old one at that. I don't think Patriot could believe it either! It was my only coin for the day, and after we tried three new sites that should have had lots more goodies we tried an old beat site and I came up with some musketballs and a bale seal. All in all, with the great weather, some free sausages and taters from a nice farmer, good company and a gold coin, it was one of my best days detecting yet!
IMAG0282.jpg
IMAG0284.jpg
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG

Upvote 56

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!! Haha, I've always been more of an inwardly excited person. But man the adrenaline was going!

Well let me help you with that. Killer find there!

Attachments

• 090501H-27.jpg
    090501H-27.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 132

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on your first gold coin!!!

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. We all dream about finding something as nice as your coin.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an incredible find, and one that has been at the top of my most wanted list for years. I hope you realize how rare and special that find is. I've been exclusively hunting colonial sites for 15+ years, and although I've dug about 150 silver coins from the pre-1800 period I've never gotten that goldie, and probably never will. So my hat is off to you for a superb find, and one that I'm certainly going to vote as banner. WTG!!!

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding Find! Congratulations

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning. Maybe I've missed it, I don't recall ever seeing such an old gold coin found in the states. You've found something special there, and have no doubt found a banner coin. Congrats!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible find, and one that has been at the top of my most wanted list for years. I hope you realize how rare and special that find is. I've been exclusively hunting colonial sites for 15+ years, and although I've dug about 150 silver coins from the pre-1800 period I've never gotten that goldie, and probably never will. So my hat is off to you for a superb find, and one that I'm certainly going to vote as banner. WTG!!!

I have about as many years, and then you start to add in everyone you know who hasn't found one, and all their years, and that's a lot of old targets and no gold coin. If I do ever find one I suspect it will not be that early....but I guess beggars shouldn't be choosers!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!

Well let me help you with that. Killer find there!
I swear I looked like that on the inside! Still can't stop smiling though, haha.

Yeah maybe he should buy a lotto ticket at this point too!
I think I'm going to get a couple of those hospital lotto tickets tonight!

I do understand the rarity and significance, I'm still amazed! It's made up for the colonial silver drought I've been on and makes me want to track down even more new sites.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gold coin from the reign of George III....it don't get much better!

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find! 30 yrs and no gold coin yet. Always inspirational to know they are out there.
Thanks for the post & pic.
Banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread