New Colonial Sites Lead to my First GOLD coin!!!!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with The Patriot today to try some new spots in an area with some age and potential. Lots of pottery and broken glass showing up but for the most part finds were bits and bobs and scrap brass and lead. Then out popped this, an 1800 1/3 Guinea gold coin! I was honestly in shock, I NEVER expected I'd find a gold coin, and a 213 year old one at that. I don't think Patriot could believe it either! It was my only coin for the day, and after we tried three new sites that should have had lots more goodies we tried an old beat site and I came up with some musketballs and a bale seal. All in all, with the great weather, some free sausages and taters from a nice farmer, good company and a gold coin, it was one of my best days detecting yet!
IMAG0282.jpg
IMAG0284.jpg
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG

Upvote 56

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome !

As stated many of us will never get one.
I never put gold coin on my top ten wish list before, this year I did put it on the list, but past number 10, as it is highly unlikely.

Old, and gold, a good combo.

Congrats.

I think your missing the point of a wish list. My top 5 (thats all I bother with) are all 'impossible' finds, however so were my first set of 5 before I got them.:thumbsup:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hicksy, well done man! What an amazing find. I'm down the road if Patriot can't make it out with you next time. :laughing7:

Seriously though, f**n amazing stuff. Sweet musket balls too.

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that coin is AWESOME ! :hello2:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sick find man!! Absolutely incredible! Not as much time in the hobby as many others here but I've been at it for 9 years and have hunted some incredible colonial sites with no gold coin in sight. Congrats!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy. You go up top to the banner and click the gold coin.

He means 'vote banner'.

Go to the top of any post & press the red button named 'nominate banner'.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He means 'vote banner'.

Go to the top of any post & press the red button named 'nominate banner'.

No, my instructions are how you nominate a find for the banner once it's already there.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hicksy, well done man! What an amazing find. I'm down the road if Patriot can't make it out with you next time. :laughing7:

Seriously though, f**n amazing stuff. Sweet musket balls too.

Thanks! I'm sure we'll all end up on a hunt at some point, I headed your way a few times last year with the fiance in tow but couldn't decide on a site to get permission on, so I just went fishing haha.

Sick find man!! Absolutely incredible! Not as much time in the hobby as many others here but I've been at it for 9 years and have hunted some incredible colonial sites with no gold coin in sight. Congrats!

I feel pretty lucky that I've found what I have in the first five years I've been detecting. I've been on a long colonial silver drought and after this find, I won't mind going a while longer. I have a feeling it'll take me years to find something I consider more awesome than this, if ever!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A banner find for sure, you are the MAN:notworthy: I have never found any thing gold:dontknow:The MD gods have not smiled on me for a gold find.:weee:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling it'll take me years to find something I consider more awesome than this, if ever!

I thought that once, and it did happen about 4 months later. That was 12 years ago and I've yet to tie or improve upon those. Even though a gold coin is a great find I personally think anything old and worth $$$$ is as good or better. Something modern I'd have to see because it would be 100% about the value.

If there was 2 holes, one with the gold coin and the other with $4,000 I have a sneaky suspicion if given the choice you would take the cash. 8-) So you can still find something more awesome... at least in that way.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that once, and it did happen about 4 months later. That was 12 years ago and I've yet to tie or improve upon those. Even though a gold coin is a great find I personally think anything old and worth $$$$ is as good or better. Something modern I'd have to see because it would be 100% about the value.

If there was 2 holes, one with the gold coin and the other with $4,000 I have a sneaky suspicion if given the choice you would take the cash. 8-) So you can still find something more awesome... at least in that way.

I sure wouldn't turn up my nose at $4000! But I hear what you're saying, you just never know what you're going to find - guess I better get back out there and keep trying. :D

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on what has to easily be the find of a lifetime!!! HH and have a great year......

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible!

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very worthy of a banner. A gold coin is on my wish list. Hopefuly I'll pull one out one of these days. Congrats to you!

beau-bc

Mar 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT&Deus for relics &coins
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous find,just a Beautiful coin,once in a lifetime ,great going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread