Small Four coin cache found!

TL Missouri

Dec 31, 2006
About a month ago I bought the salvage rights to a small farm house that was to be tore down. I was removing some doors and trim out of the house when I spotted a string hanging from a nail on the back of a closet door. I noticed what looked like buttons hanging from the string. After closer inspection I discovered there were four coins that had been holed and had the string ran through the center. There was three Indian cents and one seated dime. The dates were 1865 1866 1900 IH and 1857 dime. I know not worth alot but it broght a smile to my face! The sad thing is the 1866 IH looks like it had full liberty. A nice coin before being holed. I never found anything else of much value at the old house and it had a dozer run over it and buried it. I left the string that was holding the coins in the picture. TL

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 979
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find!

HH

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most clothes did not have pockets on them back in the day so they would put them on a piece of string so not to lose them. I got my best coin a few weeks ago 1778 Reale. It was holed!!!

T

ghostrider1775

Dec 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI/ Grand Master Hunter CX3
Very true,calvary riders actually sewed coins inside their trousers so as not to lose any. If they only knew how much it killed us now!!! :'(

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ghostrider1775 said:
Very true,calvary riders actually sewed coins inside their trousers so as not to lose any. If they only knew how much it killed us now!!! :'(

I've always wondered that too! Now I know. It still stinks though! >:(

Glad you found those Missouri! WTG!!

HH,
Moon

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TL...that is a great find. I'd rather find a holed coin that one without.....but I'm weird. ;)

I just think they have more character! :)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool. You really know how to pull some strings!
Thanks for posting this. I learn something new here everyday.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Lisa said:
TL...that is a great find. I'd rather find a holed coin that one without.....but I'm weird. ;)

:o ??? :-\ :D

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
WTG bro............surely those holes brings down the value of the coin, but look at it this way, it's a totally unique situation to have a coin like that.........a coin that someone long ago went through the process of securing. There's a story and personaly touch behind those coins.

T

TreasureTales

Mona Lisa said:

I agree, at least as far as coins with low numismatic value are concerned. I wouldn't want to find a gold coin with a hole!!!!

Holed coins were often worn as necklaces, so I wonder if "never go broke" might have been an incentive to hole the coins, also.

Your find is great and interesting, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "cache." "Cache" has a certain connotation that your find doesn't have. Still, it's always nice to find multiple coins in one place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread