Same yard more silver

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same yard, more silver and Wheat cents. Went back today got another Mercury dime, this one from 1924. Silver Washington:1959-D (beautiful condition) Another, but File65.jpg larger aluminum play coin from "Grimsland" and 5 Wheat cents the oldest being 1910 and 1919. As is often the case when metal detecting: I was on my last pass, getting ready to leave and right at the edge of the yard I found the Washington quarter. I think I have pulled around 70 coins from this yard in two days! Going to be staying in this neighborhood for a while!

Upvote 10

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saweeeet coins!

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to skip the park hunts and start door knocking. Awesome hunt!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to hit the parks in town after doing a few yards just to see what I could find. Waste of time! Now if one could find a park that had not been hunted! That would be awesome!
I need to skip the park hunts and start door knocking. Awesome hunt!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya know what ive been finding out is once i get permission from someone and im detecting often that persons neighbor gets curious and asks "find anything good" so i immediately start a conversation and swoop on in there and drop the "hey mind if i try your yard when Im done?" and low and behold its been working for me. My efforts only got me 1 silver (merc) out of the 4 houses i got permission from so far but i did get 49 wheats and 2 indianheads, not to mention a 1818 Large cent from an old farmhouse. I give up on parks, i got enough can slaw and pulltabs to start my own scrapyard

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the silver is scarcer for sure. Between 3 yards I have found 11 silver coins. I am really starting to see the benefit of going back over the same area 2 or 3 times at different angles! I have found 2 silver quarters this way, thinking there was no way I could have missed anything the first time(s). This last tiny yard gave 2 dog tags, 3 silvers , 2 play money pieces 15 wheats and about 50 other newer coins! And this is on a main street, there is a Victorian half a block away that the owner said has been searched several times(Still found an IH cent, wheat and a silver razor handle there). The thing I think is happening is that my fellow detectorist's only pick the fanciest oldest richest looking houses. I have seen this with the last 7 properties that were of that nature. In 25+ hours of searching them I only found two IH's and about 8 wheat cents!I can only imagine the good stuff someone once pulled out of those yards! Several years ago when I lived on the west side of my town, I detected several houses on my street. I picked one really rundown but old house thinking I wouldn't find much. Ended up finding 1884 Seated Liberty dime an 1889 V nickel in the same hole as well an 1867 Shield Nickel and a Buffalo Nickel from the tiny side-yard.
ya know what ive been finding out is once i get permission from someone and im detecting often that persons neighbor gets curious and asks "find anything good" so i immediately start a conversation and swoop on in there and drop the "hey mind if i try your yard when Im done?" and low and behold its been working for me. My efforts only got me 1 silver (merc) out of the 4 houses i got permission from so far but i did get 49 wheats and 2 indianheads, not to mention a 1818 Large cent from an old farmhouse. I give up on parks, i got enough can slaw and pulltabs to start my own scrapyard

Last edited:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great finds! HH

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silvers there! I keep thinking that I need to find a new site, then farmer harrows and its like a while new one.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, those darn silvers always get in the way, when your trying to find those choice vintage pull-tabs.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another awesome day Soverignelite!
I've got a few of those aluminum Grimlands too (I call them "gremlins")

Private homes can be real silvermines :)

In the burbs near Chicago where I live, the best luck I've had in finding shear numbers of silver have been at homes built in the early to mid 1950's.

HH!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its nice to dig everything in private yards because while they do have their share of trash, its no where near as bad as public parks found a CZ 18k plated ring on a foil signal at a farmhouse, I must admit in a public place id often leave that be and even though it was plated it was nice to pull a plug and see some shiney yellow looking back at me lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions