Hand grenade with heraldry

gildepaz

May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear all,

Any idea what this could be? It was found in a farm far from any town in an area that the French troops crossed in their way from France to Portugal on 1807. I believe it could be a hand grenade because is full of pellets but it seems to me way too highly decorated (even with some heraldry symbols?).

Thanks a lot in advance!

tomillar.png

Upvote 5

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello gildepaz,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us this object. Please tell us the dimensions. Perhaps the designs molded into it would provide clues to what it is. Several properly oriented photos, in natural light may help to tell the tale.

There appears to be a threaded bolt at it's base. How did you remove the "pellets," and what do you think they are made from?

My first thought was part of a Censor, though I cannot see any piercings. I'd be surprised if it was a Censor part, and equally surprised, if it was some sort of grenade.

Thanks for showing us.

Censer1.jpg

OP
OP
G

gildepaz

May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi surf,

It is 4 inches in diameter (~12 inches in perimeter). It is made of two pieces and it is half full of 2mm-big pellets that you can take out through an opening that you can see in the left picture. I think the bolt actually joins the two pieces (half spheres) together. The pellets are not very hard because I can make them flatter with the iron (?) in the sphere, so I suspect they are made of lead. I will post better pictures later today although in this one you can already see what it appear to be three tulips (?).

Cheers, gildepaz

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
neat find!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find ! Regarding the question of how it got to the middle of a farm field - the big picture answer - is , that's the nature of
human behavior - What was once a family heirloom is now discarded in the local trashpit out back , also natural disasters can play a
part , a fire might leave survivors time to get out with their lives and those of some livestock - but not all their belongings - over
the centuries , and millenia - pretty much everything ends up in the ground !

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
clock weight, the pellets could be added or removed to properly weigh for a particular clocks action.

The Shamus

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2012
S. FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You both could be correct...I think it may be the Holy Hand Gredade of Antioch as seen in Monty Python & the Holy Grail. See below instruction on it's use:

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.
Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.
Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.
Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.
Five is right out.
Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Ciccantoni

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Holy Grenade of Antioch does not exist. It is an imaginary object.
This object is the piece of an old chandelier. I have two of them like this.

Attachments

• 20170811_000956.jpg
    20170811_000956.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 89

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found the clock weight out in the field, I would go back and look for more items. There may have been a house there at one time. That is a neat little find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread