Immaculate 1838 Seated Dime w/ Die crack (error)!!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All! We had a club hunt today at an old settlement in South Carolina. Within 10 minutes I found this stunning lady! This is my first pre-1900 silver & 2nd oldest coin! My buddy pointed out the die crack & it is a perfect match to the other 1838 errors online. This coin is classified as a variety 111a http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1838_111apage.htm Its in great shape, definitely a beauty. The rest of the hunt was tough. I did find a few relics but nothing compared to this. There were also some other good finds by fellow club members. It was great to be out but I'm sore from 8 straight hours of hunting. Thanks for looking & HH!

Attachments

• image-3500637306.jpg
    image-3500637306.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 515
  • image-2061701131.jpg
    image-2061701131.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Upvote 27

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a nice looking coin , wtg !

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THATS A BEAUTY !!!:icon_thumright:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
WOW! :notworthy: That's in amazing condition! :hello2: Your REALITY of today blew the lid off of the daydreams we all have of finding a very special coin! :occasion18: CONGRATS. Please clue us in about what type of soil you dug this from and how deep? Thanks. Andi

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find congrats! awesome condition.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! :notworthy: That's in amazing condition! :hello2: Your REALITY of today blew the lid off of the daydreams we all have of finding a very special coin! :occasion18: CONGRATS. Please clue us in about what type of soil you dug this from and how deep? Thanks. Andi

Thanks, it was great to finally find a seated but a real surprise to find one that old & in such great shape. It came up as a penny until I opened the hole. I had just dug a memorial & thought "probably another memorial or wheatie" WRONG! It was only about 4 inches down. The soil is nice for a 4-6 inches then solid clay (mostly red).

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just learned the 13th star has an error as well. This is the closest match I can find from a quick search although the back of mine does not appear to have the die crack. Although the front is an exact match... . Variety 111a Liberty Seated Dimes Varieties 1837-1891 - 1838_111apage

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i see the die crack on the back of yours. it doesn't seem as pronounced as the example you linked to, but i think i see it. the line runs exactly like the example.

that is an absolutely amazing coin. congratulations!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i see the die crack on the back of yours. it doesn't seem as pronounced as the example you linked to, but i think i see it. the line runs exactly like the example.

that is an absolutely amazing coin. congratulations!

Thanks MM. Now that you pointed it out I do see the die crack on the back (between the T&A lol), although not as pronounced (like you said). It's definitely a 11a variety.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Thats one I would have slabbed... The die crack runs from the 11-4 on the front side, for those that dont see it. I am wondering if the little black corrosion that is there could be doctored/removed? Otherwise one of the uppity grading companies could call it environmental damage.... Can you use your fingernail on the edge of the rim carefully? It would make a huge difference in aesthetics and grading. Great coin.

Thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one I would have slabbed... The die crack runs from the 11-4 on the front side, for those that dont see it. I am wondering if the little black corrosion that is there could be doctored/removed? Otherwise one of the uppity grading companies could call it environmental damage.... Can you use your fingernail on the edge of the rim carefully? It would make a huge difference in aesthetics and grading. Great coin.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks! I was wondering about those little black spots... It's silver so it should be easy to get rid of although, I'm just hesitant to do too much to this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread