Finally a place to search...and a few keepers.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place I started to metal detect Saturday but then got rained out from has no one occupying it now(all the students are leaving at this time of year), so couldn't ask for permission to look again. Knocked on 11 other doors on and around 2nd & Fess (here in Bloomington IN)trying to find a place to search. 10 not at home and one turn-down. FINALLY saw a student moving out who lived next to his landlord and was able to search that yard for a bit. A few nice neat finds: 1906 Indian Head Cent, 1921 Wheat (a year I have been missing) a couple other newer Wheat's and a fancy George Washington "Lucky Play Coin." Also an Aluminum tag that says "GC...From the Children of Zuni New Mexico, Thank You." No silver today, but at least I found a few keepers and my 8th Indian Cent since March.

File80.jpg File79.jpg File74.jpg

Upvote 10

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good finds!!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!
Just keep knocking just keep knocking lol i tell myself that if i want a summer full of keepers i just gotta keep knocking

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That " lucky play" coin looks real. I was trying to figure out what it was before I read your post. Nice finds.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, I find the student areas seem to attract landlords on weekends around here, at least this time of year.

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get turned down more often than not. It gets pretty irritating but after seeing holes that some people leave behind in public places, it's no wonder people think poorly of m-derists. Great finds.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's the fanciest play coin I've found! had it not felt so light when I found it , I would've thought it was a real coin.
That " lucky play" coin looks real. I was trying to figure out what it was before I read your post. Nice finds.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that. In my hometown (where I no longer live) I got turned down so much I quit hunting for 8 years... UNTIL I moved back to my current town. Much better luck here. A lot has to do with technique- but if someone (property owner)already has had a bad experience it's a little tougher.
I get turned down more often than not. It gets pretty irritating but after seeing holes that some people leave behind in public places, it's no wonder people think poorly of m-derists. Great finds.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes true...same here, although I could find NO ONE, tenants or owners yesterday (except for the one place I found these coins) I have found a website for my county that lists addresses, history, owner, etc. for every property! Now I can find owners (especially landlords of old student houses) that gives me a much better advantage. Wish my internet was faster though as those maps load very slowly!

Nice finds, I find the student areas seem to attract landlords on weekends around here, at least this time of year.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I kept knocking but after about an hour of it , it was getting old!
Nice Finds!
Just keep knocking just keep knocking lol i tell myself that if i want a summer full of keepers i just gotta keep knocking

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Man, Finds are Finds and you have some older dates there and in reasonable condition. Good on ya for continuing to search for people to ask! Keep going as there is more out there......................63bkpkr

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I kept knocking but after about an hour of it , it was getting old!

what im finding is people in country areas are more receptive than some of the cities/suburb areas. Also my luck is better in the morning than in the evening. Ive asked about 10 people so far and got turned away 3 times. One of them was a farmer who already has a metal detector, one was a church whos congregation searched the area, and the other was a property manager who said the owner lives in CA.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the opposite. In my hometown which has a pop under 20,000 it seems everyone is suspicious in the town I live now (prolly 60,000 with students) I rarely get turned down. AND it seems everywhere I go I have to explain to people that I am asking permission from, that I don't regularly find high value items: I just enjoy it the same way people enjoy fishing or golfing. They always seem astounded that I would spend so much time doing something that isn't paying me at least minimum wage.(What a capitalist country we live in: if it doesn't make money it's pointless) I find the easiest way to get ain touch with property owners is to look for houses I'm driving by and look for signs saying "FOR RENT" but I am only one out of 2 for this(1 YES and 1 NO). I think you get turned down more over the phone (unless you know the person) than in person.

OH and I got rained out again! Did all of my errands chores etc. which took til afternoon. Got in my car ,drove only 1/2 a mile and instantly-torrential downpour! The place I've been trying to hunt actually had some occupants home...as I drove by earlier. I am on vacation this week and it's rained every day but one! I have 2 days left and all are forecasted for rain! Arrrgh!

what im finding is people in country areas are more receptive than some of the cities/suburb areas. Also my luck is better in the morning than in the evening. Ive asked about 10 people so far and got turned away 3 times. One of them was a farmer who already has a metal detector, one was a church whos congregation searched the area, and the other was a property manager who said the owner lives in CA.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure like to find an old coin or two, then it doesn't feel like a waste of time. I find that if I am not finding anything there is probably not much there as I hunt thoroughly with my Etrac,
Hey Man, Finds are Finds and you have some older dates there and in reasonable condition. Good on ya for continuing to search for people to ask! Keep going as there is more out there......................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions