🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys, got out today for literally 45 minutes before the sky opened up on me, I went to a park in my area that has been here for over a hundred years and it has been POUNDED by many many metal detectors but i decided to hit it anyway to bring up my clad count. My first target was this wierd looking coin that is slightly bigger than a quarter but totally unidentifiable, and then shortly after I dug this 1960 roosie?, when i flipped the plug i was like "what the, how the?, is that silver?" how the heck did i manage silver in a park that has been swamped by detectors? I know i dont have a top of the line detector but how the heck did those other guys miss this? it was only at 4-5 inches?? I finished with about 2 bucks in clad, the silver, a 1924 wheat, and a boardwalk token. Just goes to show you, ya never know with this hobby!!

The picture of the playground is where I dug the Silver and mystery coin. Hard hard clay soil compacted too:dontknow: I dunno im baffled but stoked!

IMG01091-20130508-1252.jpg 130508_0001.jpg 130508_0002.jpg IMG01090-20130508-1251 (2).jpg 130508_0000 (18).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds cjon455!

Thanks VP, i think of all my finds, this one is the most mind boggling. To say this area is hunted like crazy is an understatement. Ive literally seen 4 guys there the one morning. I think it was too deep to be a recent drop too (4-5")

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coin might actually be a colonial coin.... doesn't seem to be a large cent. My eyes may be playing tricks on me but in that picture I seem to be seeing the harp that would appear on the back of an Irish halfpenny.... anybody else see this? (top of the harp at the 2 o'clock position... bottom of harp at 8 o'clock) Nice finds.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coin might actually be a colonial coin.... doesn't seem to be a large cent. My eyes may be playing tricks on me but in that picture I seem to be seeing the harp that would appear on the back of an Irish halfpenny.... anybody else see this? (top of the harp at the 2 o'clock position... bottom of harp at 8 o'clock) Nice finds.:thumbsup:

Holy crap thatd be awesome!, its the same diameter of the large cents i have but about half as thick, i know a better description/picture would do wonders

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap thatd be awesome!, its the same diameter of the large cents i have but about half as thick, i know a better description/picture would do wonders
From what I understand a lot of the Irish halfpennies found in the northeast are counterfeit. The thickness of the coin sounds right. If its counterfeit it will definitely weigh a lot less than a regal (non counterfeit) one. I've seen two found by hunting buddies and both were counterfeit. I'm not sure of the weight but hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge will chime in. Just to reiterate, the Irish halfpenny was a guess based on what seems to me to be a small bit of detail. By no means am I positive of this ID... but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Have you tried taking a pencil rubbing of the coin? Sometimes there's some detail hiding and this might bring it out.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG at the hunted out park! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand a lot of the Irish halfpennies found in the northeast are counterfeit. The thickness of the coin sounds right. If its counterfeit it will definitely weigh a lot less than a regal (non counterfeit) one. I've seen two found by hunting buddies and both were counterfeit. I'm not sure of the weight but hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge will chime in. Just to reiterate, the Irish halfpenny was a guess based on what seems to me to be a small bit of detail. By no means am I positive of this ID... but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Have you tried taking a pencil rubbing of the coin? Sometimes there's some detail hiding and this might bring it out.

Thanks for the pointers, i will try that, and yeah i knew you were just chiming in with what you think it is, i hope your right :laughing7:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I went to a park this morn too for a bit till it rained but spent most of my time picking up trash. I talked to the groundskeeper and he thanked me for picking up the trash. He said the park was built in the 1940's so there is the possibility of silver. He said he only remembers one elderly man detecting it, so when the rain stops here in NEPA, I will try my luck. Am sure it won't be as good as yours though. Congrats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Old Dude , don't sell yourself short ,as seen above [op] you never know what might pop up. Good luck

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Old Dude , don't sell yourself short ,as seen above [op] you never know what might pop up. Good luck

Thats exactly what i was gonna say, Im basically a newb still who got lucky, very lucky, thats what this hobby is all about: gut instinct, research, and in my honest opinion, pure luck, that being said, good luck to us all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread