Large Cent (Draped Bust)

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
Hello all,

This the first coin I have ever posted on here although I have been a member for a few years. I guess I have alway admired everyone elses finds and wished I could find something cool.

Anyway, I recently retired from the USAF and moved back to Maryland (lots of jobs here). So I decided to go detect around my old high school since it dates back to the early 50's. I was just hoping to find a few silvers and this pops out from about 6 inches down. And I dinged the crap out of it! After doing some research, I found out that the school is built on land that Mary Surratt once owned. If you like, Google her and find out her story and its tragic end. Speaking of her demise, I happen to work on the same military base that she was hanged on. No graves, just tennis courts are there now, but still plenty of area to search. Hopefully there will be some good finds.

Well thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Large Cent.jpg
    Large Cent.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 3

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Draped Bust Cent and great story about your hunting site!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the find... and on the research.:thumbsup: I love finding the old large coppers. Very interesting. I'm sure there's a lot more there to find.

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find !! Gotta be more =ED

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin we all ding them at least once

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

This the first coin I have ever posted on here although I have been a member for a few years. I guess I have alway admired everyone elses finds and wished I could find something cool.

Anyway, I recently retired from the USAF and moved back to Maryland (lots of jobs here). So I decided to go detect around my old high school since it dates back to the early 50's. I was just hoping to find a few silvers and this pops out from about 6 inches down. And I dinged the crap out of it! After doing some research, I found out that the school is built on land that Mary Surratt once owned. If you like, Google her and find out her story and its tragic end. Speaking of her demise, I happen to work on the same military base that she was hanged on. No graves, just tennis courts are there now, but still plenty of area to search. Hopefully there will be some good finds.

Well thanks for looking.

Cool, I am so envious, I have never found a large cent. Thank you (and all the prior service folks in TNET land) for your service to our wonderful country. About the Mary Surratt affair, I have never understood her conviction. I am an old Civil War buff and her story has always seemed one of the saddest chapters of the time, thanks for bringing her subject to attention.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Dig carefully.

Congrats,

Buck

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find!! dont worry about the ding, i know it sucks to hit them but it adds to your story :thumbsup:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still a great find! ;)

Looking on the bright side of this event.
You left a lasting impression in the coin and the coin made a lasting impression on you!

I am willing to bet you will never let that happen twice in one lifetime!

So go out there, and go find more treasures.
Happy hunting.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Mary didn't look like a happy gal, so maybe her hanging was a relief. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread